Using a Microfiber Drying Cloth

I use the Kent microfibre cloths, usually three or four per car and used with Autoglym Aqua wax and then machine washed after use. I was told by an Audi dealer that silicone blades and chammies are now frowned upon.

2 Likes

Silicone blades do cause some scratching. So best avoided.

1 Like

Tend to find Autoglym blade with the Autoglym drying towel works well.

i too have had bad results from the blade. great idea in theory, but the slightest bit contamination and it will scratch.

water sheeting to “dry” the car as final rinse and a decent towel for me.

1 Like

Ceramic coating minimises surface wetting, witness the beads.

A clean rain-water final rinse (from a new or well flushed water-but) is easily removed with a nice thick yellow Kent mf, and any residuals one might miss have no calc to leave watermarks.

Avoid touching soft Mazda paint with any kind of blade!

This is why always I tell the dealer “Please DONT wash the car” at its annual service and MOT.

3 Likes

H2Zero Twisted Loop Dual Drying Towel 1400gsm 55 x 90cm | EZ Car Care UK

Just got one of these and it is absolutely brilliant. It leaves zero water behind - takes about a minute to dry my ND and with a quick wipe leaves a great finish with zero streaks. Can dry a wet car without needing to be wrung out.

2 Likes

‘Tap’ the car dry with the plush microfiber towel too, as opposed to wiping it. Also, only use the microfiber towel once as it’ll pick up contaminates (hence it’s handy to buy a few, so you’ve a stack to then wash, rather than just one all the time). When washing it/them, use Woolite or some similar and no fabric softer.

I like the waffle weave drying towels but really if you’re into detailing, you’re best off getting a blower/dryer as you don’t need to touch the paint at all and it removes water from panel gaps etc.

Just don’t buy the cheap ones for £20 a they are not filtered and you’re just blowing dirt back on to your car.

1 Like

Am I the only oldy (75+) on here ?
I have used a good quality Chamois for years on all my cars. Treat them well , soak a couple of times when new to remove the dye remnants and dry well in the air, I drape mine over an empty bucket, and soak and squeeze before use. Always rinse before storing.
Brilliant results , wicks up water and lasts,. Well mine is 20 years old at least.
Never disregard the tried and tested ways just because something else comes long.
How long before your Micro fibre disintegrates ??
Will admit to advances in polishes though. the old Simonise was a killer to apply and polish!

3 Likes

I’ve always used a chamois, it does the job quickly and easily. Normally I’ll buff off any water smears with a microfiber after if I’m not applying polish or wax.

Doggie dryer!

1 Like

I had been using chamois leathers for over 30 years, but probably only ever brought two over that time. They last a long time.

I then read about people using these new fangled microfiber drying cloths. They are amazing. They dry the car off much quicker than a chamois. Try one if you never have, I won’t be going back to a chamois now.

6 Likes

They are also safer. I hevent used a Chammy for 30 years!! Paint is too soft for them and they hold dirt that causes swirls, no mater how careful you are

1 Like