Using a Microfiber Drying Cloth

For many years I have always used the Autoglym Aqua Dry Synthetic Chammy. I have decided to try a Microfiber Drying cloth instead. I have two questions-

1 - Any recommendations for a good Microfiber Drying cloth.

2 - When using a Microfiber Drying cloth is it best to wet the cloth prior to starting to dry the car off.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I use a G-Techniq drying towel and its been great. Good size and enables you to get around the whole car in one go.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gtechniq-MF2-Microfibre-Drying-Towel/dp/B07C52W4RT/ref=asc_df_B07C52W4RT/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218093857332&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14075695900927678084&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045741&hvtargid=pla-750379528050&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Generally i donā€™t dampen mine first as it picks up the moisture from the car anyway

1 Like

Take a look at AutoExpress reviews.
For years they have been recommending Kent drying cloths, which are like towels and soak up lots of water.
However, they donā€™t wring out all that well, so having got rid of most of the water, you canā€™t get it completely dry.
Now they are recommending an Autoglym product called Instadry, which is more like the Aquarius and wrings out well, so you can get the car properly dry.
Maybe start withe towel type and finish off with the Aquadry.
Iā€™m getting an Instadry for Xmas, so will report back.

2 Likes

I use Meguiars supreme drying towel as well as their water magnet towel. Both large and also ordinary smaller microfibre ones for the door shuts. I donā€™t wet them first.

2 Likes

These are the best towelsā€¦ Ive tried many. They are the best. Trust me:

Dampen them before drying the car ā€¦Absolutely brilliant!!

4 Likes

I use a Bruhl air dryer that I bought originally for my bike . It is fast and easy!
It looks like a large hairdryer with a long hose to deliver the hight speed air jet to the car rather like a Dyson hand dryer.
It dries the car quickly without streaks and can get into small spaces like those around the brakes etc.
I was highly dubious about an air drying turbine system until I tried one . Now I would not go back to microfibre cloths again.
From the lack of reaction here I suspect we have a lot of none believers!

1 Like

Glad this has come up. I have a towel of some sort but no idea what it is. It came free with a new Jaguar in 2011, Iā€™ve had it ever since and keep it moist in a plastic tube. Itā€™s absolutely brilliant and I use it loads. Problem is itā€™s falling to bits now and leaving yellow bits all over the car. Iā€™d ideally want a new one but donā€™t know what it is made from.
Last week the wife came in and gave me a nice new chamois from Halfords, itā€™s a good one apparently she said. Ā£15ish and got good reviews. It did dry the car ok but was sticky and kept gripping the car and pulling from my hands. When I tried to wring it out it just wouldnā€™t let go of the water. It felt slimy and I really didnā€™t like touching it. Worst still it left a coating on the cars and I had to wash them again with soapy water and dry with the old faithful to get it off. Iā€™ve had cheap chamois before and assumed that was the cause of the slimy feel but it seems itā€™s the norm. Never again.

So now Iā€™ve looked at micro fibre towels, Kent towels, synthetic chamois and all sorts. Canā€™t decide what to buy now. Iā€™m thinking of a synthetic chamois though, I had a synth chamois pad years ago and that was good just small.

1 Like

Anything that has the word ā€˜Chamoisā€™ in it is abig NO NO for me. Mazda paint is very soft and marks, marrs and scratches very easily so I would only use premium MF products that dont hold dirt within the fibres

3 Likes

Same on eBay at half the priceā€¦ (Pet driers)

1 Like

I use a silicone blade to pre dry too. They work brilliantly. I have been using them for about 15 years now, never had anything but good results from them. Only use genuine silicone ones though, rubber ones leave small micro scratches behind. They shift 95% of the water before you even start toweling.

3 Likes

interesting to hear as i have a silicone blade as well but gave up using it as it left too many damp spots behind around windows, mirrors etc where i couldnā€™t get into the small bits enough.
Iā€™ll dig it out and try it on the Mx5 - although still worry that one day iā€™ll get some grit caught in it and drag it down a panel!

Just ordered a 3 pack, you save a nice chunk off the singles price. Strangely the 5 pack is the same unit price as 3!!
Many thanks C for the advice more than happy to ā€˜lean onā€™ your vast experience.
:heart:

1 Like

You could try a bale of yellow microfibre cloths from COSTCO, good size, very absorbent, cheap. a couple do the full car after using a blade on the bonnet and boot lid.
I use once, dump them in a washing basket and wash and tumble dry them when there are 20 or so to do so never re-use a used cloth in case it has picked up grit.

:grinning::sponge:šŸŖ£

2 Likes

Yes. Read some reviews (yup, people test car cloths, bless ā€˜em) and bought this. Absorbs silly amounts of water; easily the best I have. I donā€™t wet it first.
Kent Car Care GKEQ6100 Microfibre Drying Towel Extra Large 5 Sq Ft https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030B9U6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_fabc_fuR4FbYZ9Q2AY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I too have a Kent towel and yes it does remove a lot of water but it doesnā€™t remove all the water.

It wonā€™t wring dry enough for that, so maybe two towels are the answer, one for getting most of the water and then finish off with the other

I use a company called paragon microfiber,

They sell on Amazon and Ebay but you can buy direct which is cheaper. They make them for the brands I believe. The trick is to only buy the ones that are 30% polyamide which is what they sell. A lot of the cheaper ones are 20% and just donā€™t cut the mustard.

3 Likes

I have some of these under the Xmas tree after heavy hints to favourite daughterā€¦

These are what I use.

For the body -

For the glass -

Door shuts, under bonnet, boot and general. -

2 Likes

I have nine of these towels - they are great!

I typically use 3 or 4 per car (I havenā€™t tried them on the MX-5 RF yet - it doesnā€™t arrive until 1st April; it might only need 2). The towels should be used dry and changed when wet.

Where possible, it is best to ā€œpatā€ the car, rather than wiping, although I appreciate that this is not always practical. This is to minimise the risk of ā€œswirlsā€.

Best to tumble dry after use/washing.

It takes a fraction of the time to dry a car with these, relative to a traditional wash leather.

1 Like

I blow the car dry with the leaf blower, helps get water out of all the nooks and crannies.

Then follow up with large microfiber towel.

These big ones are the way to go

A real game changer for me was spraying a little silicon sealant when I dry the panel, it helps dry it and leaves a hydrophobic silicon wax layer. Lovely finish with no smears.

1 Like