Very good Phone holder for MX 5 RF

I was looking for an effective mobile phone holder that wouldn’t obscure my view out of the windscreen. After looking at a number of options I finally purchased one from ‘MX 5 parts’. Although it does cost more than most other holders it does look good when fitted, excellent quality and meets my requirements. I have had it for a few months now and am very pleased, I can recommend it. I hope this helps others who may be looking.

1 Like

It does look very neat but I must admit that I am a little puzzled as to why you need a mobile phone holder in the ND with built in Satnav and bluetooth connection to the car’s media system. Mine stays in my jacket pocket or in the cubby hole in front of the gear stick if it needs USB connection to be charged and it works fine. May be I have missed something?

I agree, but if you are not wearing a jacket (which I rarely do in a car) and do not have a handbag, you will not want the phone in your pocket, so it has to go somewhere. I suppose it may as well go where you can see it, even if you are not supposed to use it, you can access it via the car stereo… (talking of which the new cars have wireless apple car play - so even better :slight_smile: )

1 Like

It is a matter of choice and preference, the reason I purchased the holder was that my phone was too large to fit in the cubby hole and I don’t like to keep it in my pocket (previous experience of falling onto the floor as I got out of the car). Like the previous reply I don’t tend to wear a coat or jacket when driving. I was only highlighting for those looking for a phone holder that this is one I would recommend.

3 Likes

I have the same holder. I thought there wasn’t enough screen for suction cups and extraneous nonsense. Might as well spend the money.

I use my phone for satnav, (it’s easier on quick stuff and I have around 800 customers, tradesmen and suppliers in the contacts. ) podcasts, music, I can get my newsfeeds etc. It’s just way more convenient. Also the traffic updates on Apple maps or google mean I can change direction if there’s an issue ahead as the live update on mazda satnav requires a subscription and a tethered phone which doesn’t work with iOS well as you need to keep putting the password in.

I like the satnav and music system though. Works well enough. My phone is used everyday in my VW transporter at least 20 times a day so it’s mostly easy because it reacts to Siri commands. I don’t need to touch it to find an address. I have a 256gb usb stick with loads of music plugged in to the car as well so my wife doesn’t have to connect her phone as she isn’t used to using it. She prefers the Mazda system which is fine and whichever one of us gets in the car it’s easy to swap over.

I have a charging lead (soul red😉) plugged into the power outlet under the passenger side with my front and rear facing dashcams, better charging power than the usb outlets built into the car. Took 15 minutes to fit all that including the cameras the day I bought the car.

Edit. I’ve added Apple CarPlay since this post and 6 months later couldn’t be happier. £80 self fit and it’s great.

2 Likes

I’ve got the same holder/cable combo. think it’s great, basically looks like part of the car! Use Google maps for satnav and haven’t upgraded the system to have Android auto or anything yet on the display. Plus the phone can hear me better if getting it to add stops on route etc with the voice recognition

2 Likes

Fair comment. I don’t have those issues so I don’t need to use one but I understand your need. As I said it does look very neat. It might be worth adding a link to where you got it from for the benefit of other people. :+1:

There you go Phone Holder, MX5 Mk4 RHD (mx5parts.co.uk)
:heart:

1 Like

Think MX5parts were our when I got it, but ended up getting it straight from source.

Pre Brexit tho so don’t know what that’ll do to shipping etc.

Just fitted one of these, looks neat and seems pretty solid, if pretty expensive!
Need the phone for sat nav as have a base model ND with no phone connections!

On other alternative option worth exploring is the Brodit clip plus magnetic mount…

and something like:

I have had the same setup on the last 5-6 cars I have owned, including the CX-3 and the MX-5 RF.
You attach a slim magnetic disc to the back of the phones (or inside of phone cover).
The magnet is strong enough to hold the phone in place - and yet the phone can be lifted off without too much effort when you need to handle it/leaving the car.

I had one if those but the adhesive wasn’t strong enough to hold it to the dashboard.

I know they won’t stick as well to textured dashboard material, however they have worked well with the brodit clips over the years.
One thing is that I will wait at least 24hrs after sticking the magnetic mount to the brodit clip before attaching a phone.
So far this approach has worked well for me.

I have the same phone holder as the OP and find it excellent. It works and doesnt obstruct anything.

David