Vincent's Motor Works Review

So I’ve just dropped off Anna at Vincent’s Motor Works and he’s agreed to get Monty to do a kind of photo diary for me so I can post their work on the forum.

I’ll drop updates/review into this thread as they go.

The work they will be doing:

• Rust proofing and cavity waxing, as mentioned, @Bubble_1
  • Major service
  • Gearbox flush and change (inc. changing the plastic gearstick collar for the brass Jass collar)
  • Diff flush and change
  • Changing pads all round for Green Stuff
  • Painting calipers red
  • Fitting the Bofi rear vallance like @Jaycs_NC
  • Fitting the Bofi GV lip spoiler
  • Replacing the OEM back box for a cobalt back box like @MickAP

As you can probably tell the focus of this year’s project is protection, care and cosmetics. Next year is planned to be running gear (coilovers, ARBs, bushings). Year 3 will be engine (manifold & cams).

2 Likes

First off the pilgrimage. 1h30 of brilliant fun country roads.

@charlie56 I found a fantastic run from Sudbury through Lavenham and on to Needham Market. Thoroughly recommend.

I also recommend anyone visiting Vincent from the South. DON’T USE THE A140! What a waste that would have been!

My route below. First serious drop top run of the year and my oh my was it a good one!

1 Like

Especially today as the A140 had temporary traffic lights close to Stoke Ash and the queues after lunch were awful.

1 Like

Did most of that on a fixed-gear bike on the 2008 Dunwich Dynamo. We got a bit lost leaving Lavenham and had to navigate by the moon until we hit Stowmarket. 132 miles that night, and, despite being July, it was so cold in the frost hollows around Wattisham that my mate lost the feeling in his fingers for months.

1 Like

Fixed gear?! Wow. I know it’s not exactly the Col de Turini, but that is some effort right there.

ah thats great, heard a lot about vincent and need to get the car inspected by him at least good to have a nice route up there thanks for that

nice bit of work - let me know what those Green stuff pads are like? im running Yellow stuff for every day and a bit of track, need to upgrade in the next month or so before it gets warm and we can go back on track!

So the diary didn’t go as planned, but I’ve got Anna back.

TL:DR: I bought a good one.

When the first line of the email as Monday starts reads: “So, overall the car is great” you know you’re not going to have a heap of stuff to write about/show.

Instead of the diary, I’ll do a little run down and review of each item Vincent and Monty worked on.

• Rust proofing and cavity waxing: Anna was pretty much rust free, but Vincent’s work here looks great. he showed me a couple of examples where rot/rust had gone too far on other vehicles, and then showed me how he had worked on mine. Apologies I don’t have photos, but he cavity waxed and undersealed very effectively and completely. Despite being so booked up and able to demand full whack regardless, he charged me an extremely minimal amount of labour as the car was in decent condition already.
    9/10 (only because I’m not qualified to give a full mark review here, and it wasn’t a recovery job)

• Major service: What it says on the tin. Spark plugs needed changing (they were the OG plugs), but other than that, the car feels that bit more spritely after a service and air filter change.
    10/10

• Gearbox flush and change: (inc. changing the plastic gearstick collar for the brass Jass collar) If my box was representative of most cars this age, everyone should do this. The jamming 2nd on cold was driving me nuts and the difficulty selecting reverse, near impossible. Now, the box is smooth as silk from cold, and you get none of that gummy thunking from the plastic collar. Vincent also kindly swapped out the old gaiters on the gear stick and handbrake for free and did an excellent job.
    10/10

• Diff flush and change: You can definitely feel a difference doing this at the back end. Anna had a tendency to fade to understeer from the rear and there was a bit of diff whine. All gone now.
    10/10

• Changing pads all round for Green Stuff: These are still bedding in, so I will hold review on those.
    TBD

• Painting calipers red: Sorry, I didn’t get time to clean the wheels. the stickers are a nice touch Vincent suggested.
    10/10

• Fitting the Bofi rear vallance: This cost me a little extra than planned. It’s not obvious on Bofi’s website, but the valance is designed for the NC2/3. I had missed comments from others on the forum. However, once Vincent got the all clear from me to go ahead, with a little bit of cutting and fabricating, I think he’s done an excellent job.
    9/10

• Replacing the OEM back box for a Cobalt back box: I mean, look at those tips. The noise was a bit juvenile on the way home, and I know the box will bed in, but my inner 5 year old loves it.
    10/10

• Fitting the Bofi GV lip spoiler: Again, the fit took a bit more work than expected, despite it being listed as a part for an NC1 this time. Also, I don’t think this is Vincent and Monty’s doing, rather the quality of the part, but the measurements haven’t all quite lined up. Looks good, but will lose points on close inspection.
    8/10

• Wheel Alignment and Balance: The return home was PERFECTION. How do they do that?!?!? I have highlighted the particular bit of run that will show you just what sort of car whisperers these guys are. Take this way up, then see how good they’ve done it on the way back down.
    10/10

OVERALL
Vincent was extremely patient with me and communicative ahead of booking all this in (we hit email 50 as I was on my way to collect the car). That extra bit of care and attention to their customers goes a long way. You can tell he and Monty are enthusiasts who love to do a good job.

They don’t just do a good job, they do a great job. I have had several cars from several manufacturers and I have dealt both with main dealer and independent garages over the last 20 years. I have never experienced such a transformation in a car’s handling, behaviour, and performance before.

Admittedly they did a lot. But they got it all spot on. As long as I have an MX5, Vincent has a customer.

10/10

5 Likes