Visual Security Device

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND
  2. I’m based near: __Ludlow, Shropshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Visual Security Device

Hi. I am the happy new owner of a 2023, ex demo. MX5.

Thought I’d pass on some info about a visual security device that I ordered from Amazon that was better than I realised!

Tevlaphee is the make to search for. It’s a loop of coated cable which secures the wheel and then clips onto the seat belt mounting. It’s key operated to release.

The best part, which I had not realised is that it will stow in the narrow recess between the driver’s seat and door with the loop curving behind the seat. This means it can be used without having to get out of the car to get from the boot!

Perfect on ND, not sure about other variants.
For some odd reason a red one is cheapest.

2 Likes

Had the same for the last four years the red bit eventually gave up and disintegrated so placed some gorilla tape around the point of wheel contact. Good tip about stowage!

Ditto - got them on my ND and Eunos - quick and easy visual “try somewhere else” deterrent; may not be 100% secure, but enough to discourage. Easy to store when not in use, unlike a crook lock sized bar.

Cheers, nice link. I will check it out

That looks like quite a neat solution. It will never be quite as secure as a Diskloq, but it looks like it’s quick and easy to put on/take off, which is important if it’s actually going to be used.

And, as the Amazon listing says: “Small and lightweight, even women can easily install it” :slight_smile:

(I’m assuming that it’s this one).

Yep, that’s it.
It’s £10 cheaper in red.

1 Like

Thanks.

My Amazon account was offering a 30% voucher on the Black, Green and Yellow ones (but not the Red!) which reduced the price to £32.89, so I have gone for a yellow one, which I think will give the best “visual” deterrence.

There is currently a Black one on eBay for £25, but I think that it would be much less obvious to a n’eer-do-well looking into the car on a dark night.

Do a search in Amazon for steering wheel lock, scroll down and they come up at £16 in yellow. I paid £18 a few years ago for 2 in red.

1 Like

Good spot, thanks! I’ve requested to cancel my order (it has free returns if the cancellation doesn’t go through) and I have ordered the one that you mentioned, which looks identical.

There’s another very similar one listed on Amazon for £11.99, but it doesn’t look exactly the same, and only comes with 2 keys instead of 3.

2 Likes

In case anybody else is tempted to get one, I received both of mine from Amazon today.

This one, branded TEVLAPHEE, cost £32.89 (£46.99 less a 30% voucher).

This one, branded YUFANYA, cost £15.19.

Having examined them closely together, they are absolutely identical apart from the branding. Needless to say, the TEVLAPHEE will be going back to Amazon.

The device fits my 25AE (NC3/Mk3.75) perfectly, seems to be well built, and is quick to put on and take off, while not taking up much space when not in use. Very happy with it as an addition to my arsenal of security devices.

1 Like

Good to hear. I guess I paid over the odds for mine, but still happy with it!

1 Like