Volunteering - Taking People to Hospital Appointments etc - Insurance

Shortly before Covid got going I was considering doing some of this through a local organisation. I’d got as far as mulling it over, and had been told by the person who had mentioned it to me, that the organisation took care of the vehicle insurance when it was being used for that purpose. They also, I understand, re-imburse fuel/mileage costs.

Now thinking it over again.

This won’t be using my MX5 !

Has anyone here done this kind of thing ?
How did you present this to your own car insurer?
Thinking in terms, also, of any significant increases in mileage.

What were your general experiences of this ?

Just filled out an on line form for the LV multi car policy. On there it does ask for vehicle use and Volunteering is considered as Business use. It added about £50, about 25%, to my wife’s car insurance as that is the one that used to get used for voluntary work, but not for much longer. Does look like an all or nothing decision as there is no opportunity to relate how long or how many times a week / month the car gets used for this purpose.

I asked my insurance company early in covid days, and they said no problem.

Volunteering was included as it wasn’t for hire or reward.

Just phone them, more accurate than anyone on here guessing…

2 Likes

My Father in Law joined a volunteer driving group called York Wheels, and they sorted this all out. An MX5 is not the car for this sort of activity and many passengers are elderly

1 Like

The general rule seems to be that if you get reimbursed for mileage then you need class1 (business) insurance.
If no reimbursement then you are normally covered as passenger liability is compulsory in the uk.
Though always better to check, and get it in writing!

i can not answer any of your questions but what i can tell you is that voluteering is very fulfilling and gives a great sense of well being!

That rather depends on the dynamics within the group/organisation that you’re working with.

I’ve done a couple of volunteering stints in my life.
One was with a mental health charity. Not very inspiring experience. To the customers/clients of the charity I was just someone to complain to. To the managers, I was a spare bod to do this, do that, wash the dishes etc.

The other was six months working with a charity that trained people with disabilities in the use of computers. I wasn’t doing any of the training, I was more involved with the business side of things. Some fundraising, and business analysis. I felt respected for what I was doing. Aside from the fact that the work was in the depths of S.E. London, and I was travelling up from Hampshire every day fror 6 months, it was OK.

But surely with the roof down there would be room for a wheelchair? :roll_eyes:

Hi.
If you do have any issues with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.