WANTED: NA Mk1 factory / OEM boot lip spoiler

I’m after an original NA / Mk 1 boot lip spoiler for a 1990 Eunos Roadster, ideally in black but can repaint it. I’m after the original factory item / design and not an aftermarket one.  We like the subtle design of the original item.

Rob

There were two different types of boot spoiler, available through Mazda in 1990.

Also consider the KG Works spoiler, sold by MX5parts.

Like mine Rob?

Factory fitted 1993.

No, I’m after the lower profile version, without air gaps.

Rob

The spoiler you are looking for is a Type B spoiler, referred to in the US as R-Package.

What to watch for on used examples; the spoiler needs 1 hole drilling, in the middle of the trunk lid, with the ends being sinched down by clamps. The spoiler has a captive bolt. This frequently comes away. New, this spoiler was supplied with some film to protect the ends of the rear wings, which will take a beating, due to the weight of the spoiler. Its quite heavy, so you need to adjust the torsen bars on the trunk lid, so it stays up; even so, it won’t stay up very well.

Plenty of copy examples, which follow the same shape, but most will need some work from a bodyshop for fit. To be fair, repainting a used spoiler properly will take some work.

I mentioned the KG Works spoiler, as this spoiler also takes a similar profile, but is on excellent quality, and unusually, has a reasonable price (though I think the reason this is, is that IL Motorsport is building these under licence, as these used to be mega expensive). The distinguishing feature is that this spoiler has rivet holes, to rivet on the spoiler, or to add decorative rivet heads, or just leave alone.

It also comes moulded in black, so can be fitted without painting. New factory spoilers came in grey.

Thanks, this is really useful. This is the one we are after in black (to go on a white car). I’ll do a bit more research.

Note, the KG Works spoiler is a bit shorter. The longer spoiler can really make a mess of new paintwork… On my 96, I have a Rod Millen spoiler, about the same length as the R-package spoiler. Its done quite a number on my Montego Blue paintwork (10 year old respray though).

I have just fitted one to my car. Bought it second hand from one of the Facebook groups. I did see one for sale a couple of days ago on Facebook, so well worth keeping a look out on there.

Rev9 do an exact replica, but it’s very expensive.

The one I bought didn’t have the centre bolt, but it’s not necessary as the tape and the two side clips are more than adequate to keep it in place.

cost me £150 to have it prepped, sprayed, polished and fitted at a good body shop.

1 Like

I might have some kicking about buddy.

M-m

How about http://www.aerodautos.com/product-category/mazda/ 

Do you know if this type of spoiler will fit a mk2?