Water In Boot PRHT

i HAVE A 2009 MX5 3.5 WITH A POWER HARDTOP , . THE BOOT HAS WATER IN IT EVEN WHEN IT HAS STOOD FOR A WHILE, ANY SUGGESTION AS TO WHERE IT IS COMMING FROM WOULD BE APPRECIATED

If you follow the search link below you’ll see some previous on the topic, I’m sure others will be along here to comment soon too.
https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/search?context=topic&context_id=104787&q=Water%20in%20boot%20NC&skip_context=true

1 Like

There are two vertical rubber tubes at the bottom of the rear window seal (visible if you lift the deck panel then stop the roof mechanism). It’s not unknown for these tubes to become detached from the seal, (they’re just a push-fit) which results in water getting into the boot so I’d check those first.

If the tubes are OK then I’d suspect blocked roof drains - those are located beneath the two grilles, one at each side of the roof stowage area, just behind the seats.

Worth checking the high-level brake light seals on the deck, they’ve been known to leak.

found a leak where the cable for boot release passes into the body from the boot lid, bad seal, having fixed this now one leak less
PETER

3 Likes

That’s a new one on me, thanks for posting… :nerd_face:

You don’t say how much water is in there?
Have you looked at where it could be entering?
One other thought, if it’s stood for a while is it just condensation dripping off the underside of the lid. A little heat builds up inside of the boot (boot floor) from the exhaust back box, couple that with a cold surface like the boot lid, much like windows steaming up or running with condensation?
Just a thought.

As detailed else where , found leak from rear lights, seal is tatty and needs replacing , however I can only obtain right hand seal, as the only differenc is that one side has adhesive on and the other side is clear , is there any good reason that with the use of sealant I cannot use a right hand for both sides, ??
cheers
Peter

1 Like

Adhesive side has got a peel off paper backing from the factory and is supposed to stick gasket to bodywork. If used on opposite hand the sticky side will be on the light fitting instead,messy and a little awkward to install as there is a degree of sliding between light fitting and gasket as it is tightened up. You could buy a right side and use as a pattern to make the left side. The material is 5mm black neoprene

1 Like

Thanks
Peter

SEALED BOTH REAR LIGHTS, STOPPED LEAK ON OFFSIDE , BUT SMALL TRICKLE OF WATER IS COMING FROM BEHIND THE ALUMINIUM SHIELD, ANY IDEAS WHERE THIS IS ENTERING THE CAR AS I CANT SEE WHERE IT IS COMING FROM
CHEERS
PETER, ALL DRAINS SEEM TO BE WORKING OK[date=2020-02-21 timezone=“Europe/London”][uote]

Are you talking about the plate across the rear of the fuel filler cap area? On that side you have a cable entry in the top area where the boot shuts and outboard of the boot seal. You also have the abs sensor wires coming through the inner wing via a rubber grommet. These are possible areas of leakage.

Thanks, have allready sealed the cable entry from the boot lid and since the water is entering whilst the car is static ,I doubt that the abs sensor wire entry would be causing the problem, I have just found out that the boot seal is split in places so I am going to replace the seal if anybody has any tips for this . The leak from behind the shield is imposible to trace, even when I have removed the shield as access is virtually imposible with all the petrol feeds in the way, so I will continue to delve. Thanks for your help
Peter

Replaced boot seal, replaced rear light seals, cleared all drains and checked water passing ok from the outlets,sealed boot cable exit to left hand side of body and…wait for it…NO WATER IN BOOT, QUITE DRY IN THE WORST RAIN IN YEARS!!!
CHEERS PETER

1 Like

Hi
I also found the boot turned into a damp swamp after the last rainy winter in London. As I have noticed the boot lid seal has a tear, I bought a replacement one. However, it came as one piece rather than split at one end as the one fitted at the moment.

Can anyone give me tips on how to fit the new one? Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I just want to make sure I do it correctly and solve the water pool. I also ordered a tail light seal as it has been about 5 yrs since I replaced it. Thanks

• Owner of a lovely white R2 ltd with original cherry red leather seats.
    …yes, I absolutely love my Mk1! It was my childhood dream to own it and now my eyes lit up every time I look at it :relaxed:

Please ignore my previous post. Embarrassing. I went downstairs after writing it to give it a go and it took me 1 min to take off the old seal & 2 min to replace it with the new one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes