Water ingress in passenger footwell

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2006 MX5
  2. I’m based near: London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: water ingress in passenger footwell - l have had scuttle checked but to no avail - has anyone any ideas what to try?

Scuttle grommets?

Have a Google search about them.

2 Likes

What do you mean by checked, have they been sealed?

1 Like

Yep, scuttle grommets most likely I’d say.

Have a look at this video : Mazda MX5 Water Leak Passenger Footwell, How To Repair, Dry Carpet & Remove Seat. - YouTube

2 Likes

One of the first things I did was the skuttle grommets. It’s an important thing to do before anything else and if you leave it it can cause more damage and affect the wiring loom if water gets in.

Quite simple to do. Took me 10 mins each side. Also need clear silicone.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help

Yup agreed, Grommets!

I fixed mine on holiday in Halfords carpark using a small tube of silicon (bought in Halfords) I simply made sure it was dry and smeared silicon all around the grommet. Temporary fix until I do the job properly in spring but works and solved problem in 20 mins.

Roy

1 Like

You say Passenger foot well but have you checked under the passenger seat?

It took me a while to solve my problem but worked out in the end the water was coming from the back under the box section in front of the seat and into the footwell, under the seat was wet as well.

The water redirection from the roof to the drain pipe out the side of the chassis is almost inaccessible but if you look there is a plastic grid by the ‘B’ pillar at the hinge of the soft top, check that for detritus.

Next open soft top and look down through very small holes that drain ‘inside’ top side water behind seat, can you see water retained under the ridged plastic cover? Think of this as a funnel empting out through the pipes underneath.

If there is visible water that is you problem clear that blockage and check the pipes for blockages as well.

If your brave pour water down the grate at the ‘B’ pillar and you should see it whirl round and disappear under the cover and out through the underside of the car.

Check/clear hood drainage tubes etc. Common fault

2 Likes

Brill.
these are the BEST videos I have seen and are so clear as to potentila problems.

Thanks.

You went on holiday in Halfords car park?

Yup, very wet holiday though and I needed to fix the bulkhead grommets while there, the Shower Block wasn’t that great so will book a different site next year. :joy::joy::hugs::hugs: