Water leak from behind seats MK4

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND soft top
  2. I’m based near: Taunton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Water Ingress

Hi all. Any advice appreciated. Have been dismayed to discover that water appears to be collecting behind the seats of my MK4! :frowning:

First have been thinking/fearing it was the roof itself but have done some experimenting and all appears dry up top with no obvious leaks anywhere which I’ve checked with some blotting paper blue peter style .

Instead it appears to be tracking down and coming out from the little plugs which hold the trim on behind the seat, both sides affected but passenger much much worse - will try attach photos.

Have tried clearing out the little drain filter thingies on either side of the roof which all seem clear however am still getting little puddles, and the dreaded mould…

Am taking it to dealer for its annual service anyway but was wondering if anyone knew anything that could help/what I should ask the dealers. It’s second hand but still covered under their extended warranty as not quite had it a year yet.

Thanks in advance!!

PXL_20210117_171516376~2|375x500

Get yourself a trombone cleaner brush from MX-5 parts and pass that down through the drainage pipes each side.

2 Likes

Thanks very much. Good explanation for the filters which I’ve done already however found these two vids below which then go on to show some more bits to clean. Waiting for my trombone cleaner in anticipation before the next deluge!

2 Likes