Wax, how many coats?

Is it worth putting more than 1 coat of wax (Simonize/Bilthamber Double Speed) on or am I just having some extra exercise?
If it is good how many coats?
:heart:

It’ll be interesting to know what other people do regarding waxing, but personally ,I wash and wax mine fairly regularly, so once washed/shampooed and rinsed off ,I dry it with microfibre cloths/noodle gloves, and give it one good coat of Carnauba wax, buff it up to a nice shine :blush:
P.S I’ve also used Meguiars Ceramic wax spray , which works very well if used as per instructions, easy to apply future coats and gives a totally waterproof coating, just my opinion :wink:

Boz

Its called ‘layering’ and can be useful to aid durability. BUT…the previous coat MUST cure first…Allow a couple of hours and it will be ok. However, dependent on the wax… BH Double Coat is quite durable so no real benefit TBH . Here is the spec sheet for it:

4 Likes

Good morning.
I have tried various brands over the decades.
I have used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax now for about 5 years.
(Tend to wait for Halfords offers).
It’s easy to use with nice results.
I wasn’t really sure whether to use more than one coat. :thinking:
For that brand its just one thin coat which seems to work very well for me.
I tend to wax it after an average of 2 washes .
But I reckon 2 coats for the first time use, as the second seems to make a better deeper shine.
Meguiars shampoo too. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I like the sound of ‘layering’, makes me sound like a ‘professional’!!! which I am definitely NOT!!
Many thanks for the information, I knew I could rely on CR for simple and concise advice.
:heart:

2 Likes

I always put two layers on, may as well get the max lifespan you can out of the wax given that most of the time spent is prepping it for the wax, not the actual waxing itself.

1 Like

I am currently using Harley wax,got it off eBay,easy to use and a great finish

Why wax? Go ceramic and it lasts for a couple of years, with correct maintenance of course e.g. washing with correct shampoo and top up with spray sealant.
I’ve been using Cquartz for 2 years, cars still have a lovely glossy finish.
It’s easy to DIY apply also, only costs £39.

If you’re going to use a wax, use Zymol, I use Glasur, Zymol call their waxes a glaze.

However they can be time consuming to apply properly. Try Turtle Wax Sealant, quick and easy to use leaves a long lasting high gloss protective coat.

I’ve used various ceramic coatings including Nanolex and Gtechniq crystal serum lite but if you’re are keeping the car then after a few years when the coating is wearing it can leave a difficult to remove patchy finish to your paintwork.

One coat of Meguiar’s liquid carnauba wax. The car is garaged and it lasts two years! On the CX-5, which lives outside, a coat lasts over 6 months before it beads less convincingly.

I have tried Meguiar’s Ultimate with carnauba over the top, but it’s a right faff and lasted no longer. Ultimate is a pig to buff, as well.