Welcome Illumination Kit, MX5 Mk4

Has anyone fitted one of these? If so can you point me to the correct wire for the live feed (green)? The instructions are not at all clear and there are a number of green wires in the area of the fuse board behind the nearside trim panel. The earth I can take straight to the body which avoids choosing from the multitude of black blue. May be all black blue are earth!

Next question, is the wiring in this area the same for ND1 and ND2?

Final question, does anyone have a wiring diagram for either or both models?

Thank you.

Having slept and pondered I think the following would work.

I need a live, any continuous live would do (ie not controlled by the ignition). The interior lights are switched to earth so I need to connect the other wire to this earth switching wire somewhere along its route to the door switch.

Where exactly are the door switches?

Any comments on my thinking are welcomed.

Hi Malc,

i seem to recall there was a post previously about the kit connections to the fuse box on the left of passenger footwell. You could look back through earlier posts, assuming the ND2 is the same as ND1.

i fitted my own lights and took the feed from the interior light and works well.

hope you are enjoying the AE30

cheers

Hi B,

Many thanks for the input, I will do as you suggest. My ultimate backstop is the interior light where there will be no doubt about the connections.

We are very pleased with the car particularly with the seats and are looking forward to some better weather so we can get some miles under the belt.

Have a good one.

1 Like

Job now completed and working, very happy with the ‘red glow’.

To those who are contemplating this my advice is to do it provided you are a competent  DIY’er. The instructions do state “Expert Fitment Required” and “Not for Do It Yourself fitment” but if you take care you will be OK.

The ND2 is the same as ND1 in relation to fitting these. The download I found her  https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst96853_ND-Welcome-Lights.aspx  is essential reading and makes the instructions much clearer. The green wire is easy to see but the black/blue was difficult to find due to the restricted space. Look for a very thin wire, it is NOT the fat one.

If you need any assistance just shout up and I will try to help.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1l3eqhn5c/

Its a pretty easy job to be honest, its just identifying the correct wires as the instructions are poor in that respect. 

I’m planning to do this, is cutting the trim and splicing wires relatively simple?

Also, is it worth it to light up the pedals?

Hi S,
If you are a competent DIY’er then you will be OK, just take your time. And for me, ‘yes’ the result is worth the effort.
:heart:

This is how I did it.
I have just fitted the MX5 Parts genuine Mazda footwell lights to the Icon. Pretty straight forward job although I removed the trim panel above the footwell because I had read that some people had had trouble getting to and identifying the wires, well if you remove the trim panel it is dead easy, as you can unplug the plug and work on them without having to get into the tight spot. I didn’t use those horrible Scotch-locks that come in the kit, I stripped the wire and soldered them together. I have added some photos just in case anyone else is thinking of doing it.
image image image

4 Likes

I have spent an hour in a cold garage fitting these today, the things we do for our cars!

It looks good with the foot wells light up, maybe something else that should be standard.

The kit is pretty poor for oem, having to splice the loom isn’t ideal, a plug and play kit would be better. Also the bulbs look a bit cheap, but this isn’t a huge issue as they arent really in your eyeline. I see other cars have led strips hidden away, maybe this is a better solution.

It makes my carpet look dirty, need to vacuum!

1 Like

I’ve just fitted welcome lights to my 2019 RF and would have had difficulty in identifying the correct wires if I hadn’t read your post! Most helpful!
The other problem is routing the cable across the fascia; I had to remove a few trim parts- luckily I’ve done this previously when I fitted a reversing camera.

Crikey, I had forgotten about that post, I’m glad it helped you as that is what the forum is all about. :+1: