Welder recommendations for my NC3's rust

Hi
I have an NC3, 06 plate and it has the usual rust problem near the rear jacking point where the side seal and rear wheel arch meet.

Let me explain that I’m not worried about creating a show room condition car but I don’t want to weld a plate over the problem and have to redo it again next year. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal.

Has anyone had the same problem and have they used a local (I’m based in north west Kent) garage to carry out any welding that you would be happy to recommend?

thanks
Luke

PS I have taken it to the MX5 Restorer guys and they are excellent but I don’t want that type of job done on the car - it’s not really worth it.

Forgive me for this but let me get this right here from your post?..
You want a welder to do the job correct ,so no bodge up patch over the problem and hidden to come back, but you don’t want to pay for the cost.
So you want a back street garage to do it for a couple of pounds and be correct?
Its seriously not going to happen, to get it done correct, and treated/injected so that it does not start to blow again, then it is time to pay the right price for the right job, other wise you will be wasting cash on covering it up to come back even worse than before.
Skill, knowledge and good workmanship is not bought for pennies, even more so when it comes to sorting a one make car that people are dedicated to repair that they know inside out.
If you want to spend a £1 and get it right , you are living in a dream world, and have bought the wrong car, regardless of not wanting her to be a “show car”.
Seeing this a hell of a lot now and as are the other dedicated fixers and menders in the country, everyone wants everything for a £1, you are buying old cars which most are very collectible so with them being old be prepared for upkeep and costs" they are not new cars" , or is it just about image.
M-m

1 Like

just asking for good welders and not to get ripped off with a bad patch job - have you had any welding done? any recommendations?

Slightly harsh! I think the OP was just asking for good value recommendations in and around their area of the country. Cost of living issues means we all have less to play with - so to be fair, there’s not much wrong in shopping around.

StegSnr - contact Freelance Mazda in Chatham and ask for their advice. They’re a great outfit and I’m sure will have some good local welder recommendations for you.

Many thanks Inkeys I’ll look them up.

No just honest, i am on both sides of all this, and i am here because of owners budgets to make sure you lot don’t get ripped off big time , i wave that flag so high, by sharing knowledge ,advice and information from many many years 30 odd on these cars alone, knowledge is power and i am willing to share all that to everyone and i deal with a wide range of ownership on very different budgets to still achieve their goals of keeping and using their passion on the road solid and right, weather i help them in doing it themselves Which is my main push) in the correct way, guide them to people that work on them that we trust or they come to me.
There are a lot on very tight budgets , myself included, but buying it an old car does and will always require some cash spending somewhere on up keep to carry on useing them so they do not fall apart and succumb to the rust worm, which is the norm now (because of age and lack of correct treatments/care) if they have not been looked after correct and treated in the correct way to help stop or slow it down to make it manageable so it does need doing correct or you are wasting your time, others time and cash, which is a big no no for me, but as is bodging.
The OP is going to need to spend regardless because of what it is…“RUST” , and it does need to be done correct, otherwise it will become far bigger bills and will end up spending more than the original quotes.
And as for Mark at freelance , he is a top man, defo one to trust, known each other for years.
OP…in answer to your question… I do my own welding , maintenance, upgrades, mending, problem solving , fixing, building ,renovating,restoring etc etc, which everyone benefits from from me with these roadsters, to help them save, and not spend in the wrong place on the wrong things , get yourself a welder and a grinder( i’ll even show you a good welder to get thats easy to use and not expensive) and contact me and i’ll guide you through sorting your car yourself correct.
Just being honest from dealing with both sides of the coin for many years.
M-m

1 Like