West London Area - Weald & Downland Museum - Sunday 18th August

I have now received the entry passes for the show and these will be handed out at the meeting points on the 18th.

There are still 4 spaces available, so if any other club members wish to attend, please register on this post so that you can be added to the list of attendees.

So sorry but , to due unexpected housesitting duties for our son , Den and I will be unable to join you on this trip .

With apologies

Steve

Hi Steve, sorry to hear you can’t join the event now.

However, John and Ruth, have been added to the list!

Jane added.

Hi Colin & Hellen, 

I am truly sorry to inform you that due to my major hearing loss, Patricia and Me will now have to pull out of this event, good news is I do have an appointment on 24th September with the NHS  for my hearing loss.

Hi John, sorry that you and Patricia won’t be able to make it. My dad is going through something similar with his hearing so I can appreciate how you will be feeling. Good luck with your appointment (it must be the day for hearing appointments as my dad has his that day too, which is also his birthday!).

Last year we had an impromptu communal picnic, that seemed to be enjoyed by all. I thought it would be a good idea to repeat a picnic again this year, so for those who wish to join us we will be meeting by the cars at approximately 12:30. If you didn’t intend bringing food with you, there will be plenty of food outlets on site for you to choose from.
See you on Sunday. Colin

So sorry Colin but Jo and I can’t make the run on Sunday.

i hope you have a great day

keith

Thanks for letting us know, Keith.

Thanks Colin
Can you put me down to join you all on sunday 18th for Weald and Downland

Added to the list! Thanks.

About time I put in an appearance! Can you include us? Denis & Damaris

Hi Colin & Helen, 

I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to make this, but turns out I can if there is still space? It will be me (Adam), Harriet & Daisy the dog! Last hurruh in the MX-5 as the MOT will run out at midnight and it’ll be coming off the road for a while. 

Thanks 

Adam 

Hi Adam

I’ve added you to my list, see you in the morning.

Colin

Thank you so much for a lovely day Colin. Great event and such nice company.

Thanks Colin for a brilliant day fantastic venue nice people nice cars gerry

Many thanks to Colin for organising this event again.  We were lucky in that the weather forecast was exactly correct, it rained for about twenty minutes either side of 10am, then cleared up with a few minor threats and after lunch we had bright sunshine to the end of the day.  I got home at 7pm still in sunshine after an uneventful drive somehow dodging the traffic, garaged a nice dry car, and then out of nowhere the rain came back five minutes later, astounding.

Some pictures then.

Our somewhat jiggled line of cars, some still beaded wet but catching the sunshine.

MX5OC cars at Weald and Downlands 2019

MX5OC cars at Weald and Downlands 2019

A passing steam lorry, a scaled-down Foden

Steam lorry

I could not resist a picture of this immaculate 1962 Bonneville, just a few years younger than my old Thunderbird.

T120 Bonneville 1962

But then this was billed as Horsepower to Horsepower, and here is four horsepower

Horsepower

Moving on to a 1903 Stanley Steamer BS8052, second oldest in the world, oldest in UK, note the suicide seats in front of the driver

Steamer

And a more recent 1914 Stanley 606 Gentleman’s Roadster, uses one gallon per mile (of water) at up to 60mph.

Stanley steamer

Another vehicle I could not resist was this 1914 Model T Speedster Runabout (note the big blue thing with red wheels on the far side of the arena)

1914 Model T

1914 Model T

And could you drive it with these controls?

1914 Model T

I was tempted by this

merry go round

And remember that big blue thing? It has 20mph top speed and we all followed it down the A286 for maybe five miles… (felt like fifty)  Now, that Scammell is what I call a 4 x 4.

Scammel 4x4

This special Jag is masquerading as something somewhat more sublime

Jaguar

And where are its pedals?

Jaguar

And while this Jag might look like an SS it was originally an XJ6, but has be cut down to fit

SS Jag kit

SS Jag kit

Yes, it was a good day, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I’m looking forward to next year.