What are the best all round tyres for a mk3 2.0L coupe with 17" wheels?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ mk3 2.0l
  2. I’m based near: __Manchester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __best tyres

This has been asked many a time; have a read of this and the linked threads in my reply to it:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s (and variations) all the way.

3 Likes

I would echo the PS4. Eagle F1 5 and Conti Prem Contact 6 are similary good.

Not sure what size these new Bridgestones will be released in but they do well in this review.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-UUHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Agreed with Steve my 2nd choice would F1’s had them on a number of cars.

160hp, rwd & LSD.

It’s like the GT86, it comes with little tyres to improve the fun of the car, are we dulling the ride with top end tyres with loads and loads of grip?

My Avon v7s are cheap but work fine. They can slip out in the dry if pushed hard but it’s predictable (tc off)

Rainsports all day long.

PS 4’s.
Predictable.
Not great in the snow though…

Rick.

Another vote for PS4’s get a quote from black circle to give you an idea of price. Many garages will beat their prices.

+1 for the PS4s :sunglasses:

PS4s as well, have had Contisport 5s and 6s and they were good too

Michelin Pilot 4’s or whatever they are called now. Fabulous grip and they last well.

Thanks very much everyone for the advice. I am considering fitting Uniroyal Rain Sport 5’s because the car is my daily driver.

Hi folks ive had just over a year on pilot 4s and what a fab tyre but they have gone right up in price . I have been looking at pirelli 205/45r17 p zero but the reviews give very mixed feelings .
Has anyone had dealings with these tyres or can recommend another brand ,

cheers !!

The tyres are the only things holding you on the road.

Good tyres make for safer driving and a better experience.

If you are happy with the Pilot 4s then stick with them and regard the extra cost as part of your insurance for a safer, happier future on the road.

1 Like

I think that 215/45’s are ok on a 7” rim, and last time I looked, they are cheaper than 205’s.
Imo definitely do not skimp on tyres. The difference between ditchfinders and PS4’s is huge. The difference in price is not.

1 Like

I run 215’s on my mk3 Sport. Bridgestone Turanz T005. Really good tyre in both wet and dry. Cheaper than the 205 equivalent and been a bit wider looks nice :grin:

Here you go.

You’ll be driving like an absolute helmet if you get into any trouble in the dry, almost any medium to high quality tyre will suffice. So for me its about wet condition performance which is why I choose rainsports.

1 Like