What are the top driving roads in Northumberland?

Hi,

Will be visiting my son’s new family in the Ponteland area on several occasions this year and beyond. I have stayed near Rothbury in the south and as far north as the Heritage Coast in recent years and remember some gorgeous driving roads.

What are your favourites if you want sweeping roads and/or far reaching views? For example, I am considering taking the M6 rather than the A1 next time, cutting across the top from Penrith to Hexham.

Hartside Pass is probably the best road that’s sort of on your way… Come off the M6 and onto the 686 and then on to Hexham / Ponteland etc.

There used to be a cafe at the top of Hartside Pass but it burned down a good few years back. There was talk of it being redeveloped but I don’t think anything is going on.

1 Like

Drive up the A68 to Carter Bar , cross the border, turn left a mile later and head for Newcastleton . Divine . I drove up Hartside the other day and while it is pleasant enough , it can be biker hell .

Aha! Just picked up on the Great Driving Roads category.

1 Like

Get up to Hartside at around 5am in the summer on a nice clear day, you’ll be the only vehicle on the road! Last time I did that I passed a wagon in Eastgate and didn’t see another soul until the bridge at Langwathby!

Not the quickest route but … Hexham/Blanchland/Stanhope/Middleton/Kirkby Stephen/Tebay/Shap takes some beating. Or detour via Barnard Castle to Kirkby Stephen along the A66 for spectacular views.

1 Like