What clutch?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2009 Mk3.5
  2. I’m based near: BATH
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: CLUTCH

I have searched but haven’t got anywhere.
I need a new oem clutch for my 6 speed box

What standard clutches are people using and why…

Blueprint (part of Bilstein group) £120ish
Exedy £300
LUK £350-450

I want to know which and why you have a certain clutch.
Just saying a cheaper clutch is inferior doesn’t wash. I’d like hand on experience please.

Sachs, because at the time Moss made a HUGE error in pricing, and I took advantage (and they honoured £50 for a 3-part Sachs clutch), and Sachs is a reputable brand. I suppose only Sachs and Luk, because both are OE suppliers (they seem to share parts at times). Blueprint are a reboxer (they don’t make clutches themselves), Exedy is aftermarket randomness… I had a Spec clutch on one MX5 (came with the car); it was awful.

One of those parts you probably don’t want to cheap out on (although I did), as you wouldn’t want to changing the clutch too often.

2 Likes

Nobody changes their clutch on this forum then???

Lol, Exedy are what they have in them originally and they’re very good.

I put an OE Mazda on in my NA because it’s a “Mazda” one.

Leave Blueprint alone like mentioned earlier reboxer. Only good part about Blueprint is the warranty because they scrap the warranties on site and never request them back they virtually honour anything.LUK warranties a nightmare to get accepted.

I’m not sure I understand you about the warranty stuff.

I have seen blueprint which is part of Bilstein group which is a plus.
I can’t see them supplying / manufacturing duff
Parts. Everything on their website says the opposite about reboxing.
I was told exedy are just a supplier so I don’t know what to believe ?
It seems like no one can provide any evidence based facts like it’s so hard to find a decent manufacturer.

Why is the Bilstein group a plus??
Not many products actually manufactured.

No website is going to say we rebox cheap rubbish they all have to pass an O.E specification test but the quality of these materials to get through the tests can vary.Ive sat in enough product training to say id be going LUK or SACHS of these 3 brands ive never dealt with Exedy though.

Oh and another thought when you pull a clutch from a car your likley going to find it been an O.E LUK,SACHS,Valeo and Exedy why maybe because the car manufacturers trust them.

Bilstein suspension is good?

Its not the same company this is ADL/Blueprint owned by Ferdinand Bilstein not to be confused with ThyssenKrupp bilstein suspension who do our 5’s suspension.

1 Like

to wrap this up . i ended up buying a competition clutch stage 2 for great deal . this allows me some future proof for when i want to go turbo. Will be fitting it next month , along with all new ancillaries like HEL clutch line, new slave and master cyclinder , and new fluid ofcourse!