What does NoBSM mean?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m looking at a new car on Auto Trader and the advert is for

Mazda MX-5 Roadster 2.0 184ps Exclusive-Line NoBSM / Black Leather 2dr

What does NoBSM mean please? I googled it and found quite a few cars with it but I can’t see what it means.

Is it this?
BSM(Blind Spot Monitoring

It alerts drivers to the presence of vehicles in the blind spot on either side by displaying an icon in the appropriate door mirror. If the driver indicates to change lanes with a vehicle in the blind spot, the icon flashes and a warning beep is sounded.

Aha, that could be it. Seems odd to call it out in the model type, but I’ll take a closer look. Maybe there’s a reason why it’s not on that model. Thanks.

It will be the blind spot monitoring, due to the chip/ component shortage most probably.

Sometimes linked to rear cross traffic alert in the reverse camera system, which may also be missing if that model usually has it.

Thank you, that makes sense. I’m out to look at a few cars today, hopefully this time I’ll buy one. It’s been an on//off plan to get one for a few years now. I had a new one in 2010 that I kept for a few years, but since then there have been several times when I’ve almost bought another but for whatever reason not done it. I’ll be back later with an update!

OK, summary of the day, it’s been a long day and we’ve driven many miles!

First car was a 72 plate in metallic black. Not keen on that colour but it wasn’t far away so we looked at it anyway. That confirmed it’s not what we wanted.

Second car was a 23 plate ex-demonstrator with about 5,000 miles on it in machine grey. Initially a bit disappointed as there was damage on the front bumper (looks like it’s been driven into a vertical pole). I guess I was expecting it to look like a new showroom car (it’s 10 months old) so when I saw it my heart sunk a bit. Dealer said they’d get that repaired properly so ‘you’d never know’, so that’s still on the short list. We went for a decent test drive, loved it! the 184 bhp gives enough performance for a bit of fun, the handling was as good as expected and it passed the comfort test with Mrs G!

Third car was a 2020 with 11,700 miles in Eternal Blue. Looked pretty good, lots of stone chips on the ends of the front bumper (one side peppered!), more than I’d expect for 11,700 miles so I don’t know why. Interior really good. It’s not a new car though so I wasn’t expecting it to be perfect.

All 3 were from Mazda dealerships.

So now I have to weigh up is the 2023 model worth 4.5k more than the 2020 one?

I’ll sleep on it.

Machine Grey is a nice colour, be sure to check the bonnet hasn’t exploded after front end damage.

1 Like

OK, decision made and car reserved (subject to the light bumper damage being rectified to ‘as-new’ condition). Very excited to be getting back into an MX5 again at last!

1 Like

Perhaps those with more knowledge than me could confirm what’s behind the “lightly damaged bumper” because it may be there is a steel crossmember that also got damaged. It would be cheaper for the plastic bumper to be replaced “so you wouldn’t know” that the structure behind still had damage.

I saw exactly this situation in a repaired Ford Fiesta.

I don’t know what’s behind it or how close the plastic bumper is to anything solid behind. But for context this is the damage I’m talking about, I don’t think anything deformed sufficiently to do any structural harm.

1 Like

I think that’ll be fine, they work wonders with what they call smart repairs I think. Just make sure everything is in line upon collection
Rant alert…
Why do dealers selling such cars guessing over £20k not take care of a minor defects before asking top whack for the car on the forecourts? Are they hoping you don’t notice and just say I’ll take it?

I looked at a car Wednesday, all looked great apart from mismatched paint colour bumper to wing on one side. I noticed but the young chap who showed me around it never knew about it. Also an airbag light on and tpms warning light on, he knew about the airbag light though.
My point if you want to sell a car fix it’s faults first, a shame really, overall a decent car, but the guys chit chat didn’t convince me about it or the promises he made about fixing stuff, I walked away.

Enjoy your new car and welcome back.:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks,

they did a brilliant job and it’s impossible to tell there ever was any damage. There were 2 dings in the bumper, the other isn’t really easy to see in a photo so I just posted the worse of the 2. They replaced the black bit (with the mark on). They also sorted a couple of chips on the edge of the driver’s door. On collection it looked almost like a new car, we were very pleased with it.

3 Likes

What’s that great big scratch on the nearside front wing between the wheel arch and the door!? :rofl:

1 Like

It means one less thing to go wrong.

Ah, good point :wink: Actually the car I ended up buying does have it :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.