What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

I’ve fitted the gear lever boot kit. The old boots were torn and the turret oil was dirty. No real change in the feel of the gear change but the car is much quieter now with the hood up. I had read about the heat transfer through torn boots but no one seems to have mentioned the reduction in gearbox noise.

I’ve also fitted new spark plugs and changed the leads. The old leads were just in the resistance specification but the new ones are right in the middle of their respective ranges. I can’t tell yet if the engine is smoother but hope it will give the coil pack an easier task, 109,000 miles on the original coil pack and hoping for many more miles. 

Bought some new Kumo’s for the new wheels which are arriving Monday.

Fitted new style dip stick so you can read it better, added some chrome bling in the cabin area, steering wheel and top vents.

Have you got a link for that please., as I could do with replacing one of mine.

Raced it at Zolder.

Upgraded to 17 in Sports wheels and fitted four brand new Kumho 39’s to them. I’ve read lots of reports saying how the ride difference was noticeable after fitting them and I had my doubts. To be honest I put it down to some sort of placeabo effect or whatever.  Well now I must hold my hand up, the ride home with the new tyres fitted was noticeably better. Now all I need is a better dipstick. 

Excuse my ignorance but doesn’t take the 17 inch wheels upgrade affect the speedo reading?

D

It might, but only if you go with a a similar sized sidewall, ie you make the whole diameter bigger. If you upsize the wheels, put a lower profile tyre on it and keep the same diameter, you get no effect on the speedo. You may/probably end up with less MPG as the new tyres will probably be wider, but the ride will most likely feel more responsive as the sidewalls are shallower. Full explanation of ‘upsizing’ here - Upsizing

Nice. How’d you get on ?

It’s still in once piece. Qualifying at 5pm, just when thunder is predicted! 

The standard tyre sizes are 205 50 16 and 205 45 17 and are effectively the same diameter. You actually might use lass fuel as there will less potential for energy sapping compression on the tyre. However unless you have a test lab, you are not going to notice. 

Just an oil and filter change. Done a bit early this time because I think the car had missed an oil change when I bought it earlier this year. The oil was very black and there was no evidence it had been done in the maintenance document.

About half an hour’s work and a total of just £18.70 for 5 litres of fully synthetic oil and a filter from my local friendly motor factor.

Good cheap insurance for the engine anyway.

Each to their own, but in a standard early car I would use 10-40 semi synthetic.

Question … did you have to bite into the original plastic grille when using the self-tapper screws for the Zunsport Grille? I am thinking of  fitting a “full” version which has three such screws but assume the half grille fits in a similar way. Needless to say, I would not want to make holes in the original!

Thank you,

Alan

Hello Alan

Yes, they do, but as I considered it a permanent fixture it didn’t worry me.

Replaced the OSF chassis rail after the dreaded rot was discovered at her MOT.  Bought a mig welder and got to work.

Before…

Rotted chassis

After…

Repaired chassis

Looks like it had been patched before, better now though. Good job.

[quote] Each to their own, but in a standard early car I would use 10-40 semi synthetic [/quote]

Yes, the perennial synth/semi/non-synth oil discussion is likely to go on forever on most vehicle related forums.

I use Mobil 1  0-40 in mine

Oh and fitted new rear brake discs this evening.

Gra

Finally got round to giving my brakes a full overhaul and altering my 421 manifold to accept the new lambda sensor now hopefully it will pass its mot test as it failed on emissions and a brake imbalance and having not driven it for 3 weeks I’m getting withdrawal symptoms

Had a Parrot Bluetooth phone thingy fitted, having seen what was involved I am so pleased a man in a van came to the house and fitted it. looks nice and unobtrusive fitted between the steering column and radio, would have liked a double din all-singing and dancing sat-nav/Bluetooth/ DAB but couldn’t justify the cost.

We then took it, roof down, into Cambridge for cake and a coffee, very nice going there but torrential rain while there, so much so that the country roads began flooding (anyone know the wading depth of a MX5, I suspect not much). With the hard top up we were warm and snug with No leaks, unlike the MGB it replaced.