What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Removed the ghastly Lexus-style rear light lenses and replaced them with a pair of good OEM units.

I’ve decided that these struts are actually far too strong and I’ve taken them off because of this.  I needed to help the left hand one to begin to move when closing the bonnet.  The weaker right hand one looking into the bonnet could hold it up on its own, and measured at 14kg when I tested it.  The left hand one needs a load of 29kg to overcome the sticktion before it begins to move and is then a steady 20kg.  I’ve ordered some 100N struts (10kg) from SGS which are direct replacements and can use the IL-M brackets and ball mounts.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/fixed/6mm-rod/gs6-15-160-200

I chose black painted replacements instead of stainless because those in the boot are black with body-colour brackets, I painted the IL-M brackets to match the rest of the car. Now the lifters at each end look in harmony with each other and with the car, and the brackets look like they have always been there.

And some details from the other side

bloody hell, never mind the struts; the underbonnet looks fantastically clean :slight_smile:

A good wash & polish in readiness for Shelsley Walsh Sunday breakfast club.

Don’t like being shown up too much by the posh boys in their shiney new Astons, Ferraris etc. 

1 Like

The camera is very flattering and does not show the thin layer of dust over everything.

You should have seen it when I bought it 9,000 miles ago, now that was proper clean, everything shiny immaculate, no water marks no dust - a detailer’s dream.

Even underneath the car was shiny shiny clean, except on the insides of the wheels.  If I’d not seen it up on the lift I’d never have believed it.

When I bought my two previous cars new with 4 and 7 miles on the clocks they were less clean and significantly less shiny. 

Nothing

A few months ago I painted my brake calipers (black). The rain then came down and ruined my paint job.

I’ve just taken my wheels off again and painted my calipers. Guess what’s happening now

Taken off Blue’s rear wheel arch spats. Liking the look, except…with the standard ride height, the wheels do look a bit lost in the arches. Ho hum!

Just spent a fabulous Track Day at Blyton Park, really great fun! 

Washed, polished, waxed. Looking good for South Central run and display at Borde Hill Gardens on Sunday.

retrimmed my door cards…

this is the second one i did…the passenger side i dropped a clanger and will need to re-retrim it…

Stripped the engine bay of every single yellow zinc-passivated bracket, nut and bolt, in order to get maximum value from the ‘minimum charge’ at the platers!  I was only going to get the door latches done…

That’s a great idea! Do you need to post it off? Who’s doing it, and what’s it going to cost? I’ll certainly be looking to do the same thing!

Sorted my bodged battery terminals and fitted a cut-off switch - http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postsm618592_Finally-back-in-an-MX5--J-Ltd-II.aspx#post618592

And had a fabulous drive out with the Northampton branch - very enjoyable indeed.

Not so much ‘what I’ve done’ - more the work of an excellent and skilled craftsman here in Southampton.

When my Eunos arrived from Japan last Spring, I was expecting pretty shot leather seats.  However, to my amazement, 

the passenger’s was literally like new, while the driver’s side was pretty damn good, but with the centre seat panels and RH bolster panels looking pretty 'shiny, saggy and some cracking starting.  

Like this:

Not too shabby at all, and I’ve lived with it for over a year.  However, in my quest to get this car the way I want it, I decided to get the worn/shiny/cracked leather panels replaced, and the RH lower bolster re-shaped.  I picked the seat up today, and have to say, I’m pretty bloody chuffed with the result:

Absolutely cracking job, Mike at Wessex Car Trimming (est. 1947), 023 8022 4901, http://www.wessex-cartrimming.co.uk/  Mike went to great lengths to get the best leather match that he could, as well as the perfectly matching green cord for the stitching

And a lovely gentleman he is too. 

Steve

Fitted a cobalt silencer on the rear end of the exhaust

lovely little burble on tick over and just perfect at 2000rpm

and not at all boomy at motorway speeds

a treat to hear with the roof down.

Took a nice drive up the m6 to bowness on Windermere for a weekend away without the our 21 month old daughter in tow we were last here 30 months ago mmmm im wondering why swmbo wanted to come back here
So if ya round here keep ya eyes open for my little eunos last 3 of reg LJA and give us a flash (lights only??)

Strange noise coming from o/s/r under braking, like something was caught, mainly under 30 mph. So got home, put the roof down, turned on the stereo and got to work.

Jacked up the rear and took wheels off. Then put in gear and “drove” it. Noise still there so nothing caught between wheels. Took off o/s caliper and drove again, no noise on slow down. Just an elimination process . Looked in caliper and could see one of the brake pad backing plates was loose. Removed it. Refitted caliper (breaking a thin screwdriver in the process), “drove” it again, no noise. Fitted wheels back on. Real test drive, all good! Happy to have no costs on this one. 

Had ‘Alloygators’ fitted to the ND.  Very pleased with result. She’s sitting sightly high in these photo’s because that’s how she landed after being hoiked up by the fitter’s trolley jack on my drive,  and not moved since. 

photo WP_20160722_15_19_06_Pro_zpsurrcf5mx.jpg

photo WP_20160722_15_15_05_Pro_zpso8alwbyy.jpg

Lovely car