What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Just worked out that a wallpaper steamer is brilliant in removing wrinkles and dents in leather.

just back from powder coating

That sounds very interesting. Does the steam tighten up leather which has stretched and rippled on a seat cushion?

Stunning colour, whatever it is called!

Replaced the original naff door speakers with the JVC speakers that MX5 Parts sell, massive improvement for 30 squid and 15 mins on the drive.  I spent longer sat in it scrolling through the plethora of audio menus on my Kenwood stereo getting it to sound just right.

Spent the annual two hours trying to update the TomTom LIVE subscription.  TomTom really are useless with their software and website - the annoying thing is that LIVE traffic works really well.

gear box and diff oil changed, car taxed so just need the sun now

Fitted IL Motorsport ‘Eyelids’ - to give it an angry puppy look! 

You’ve been busy then Mick? Are you going true red? 

Barrie

[quote=T1M]

Fitted IL Motorsport ‘Eyelids’ - to give it an angry puppy look! 

nice looking motor,

made my own from vinyl wrap .  (  £3 ) 

Yes that’s the plan when the paint arrives, a few other trim bits to do too, not red though. Then it’s the steering wheel off to Royal this week whilst I get down and dirty under the car, some patches of underseal need going over again, loads of other stuff too.
It’ll be nice to actually take it for a drive sometime soon, I’ve had it sorned for two months, it’s now taxed but I’ve started taking things off it for a refresh.

Nice that you’re getting the wheel done? I’m sure you’ll be happy! Jack at RSW does a great job!  The mx5Parts NC has the red dash decor panels, looks really nice? 

Barrie

Technically, nothing done to my 5 today…but I did bling my phone up. 

Looks ace - plasti-dip for the ‘M’ emblem? I’m tempted to black out my front and rear emblems…

Thanks! Yeah, they’re plasti-dipped (both front and rear). It looks great… from a distance. The finish isn’t too good, I’m planning on removing them and taking them to a proper paint shop to have them done. But you might have more success than me.

Had Mazda lowering springs fitted and ironically after it being sat in the garage all winter, got it wet for the first time! Rubbish weather here in Rutland and across in Lincolnshire but had no choice as it was booked in to a dealer, will post some pics after I clean it.

New MOT…

Snap

Fitted my cobalt back box looks great and sounds much better. Very pleased with it.

Applied a thorough desalination wash underneath and in all the nooks and crannies, some waxing followed by a blowdry and a rudimentary attempt (some use of the handbrake while driving followed by a nice long burn as well) to restore the outsides of the rear discs to their normal shinyness (rusty from a total of three weeks at Gatwick long stay - aarrgghh).  The inside surfaces are fine, but I think I’ll need to take them off for a light skim and change the pads as well.

Anyway, going round the roundabout for the return leg I noticed another top down car (white Audi Cabrio) about to join from my left at the next entry, and he looked impatient.  So I kept left as I entered the dual carriageway (70 limit) and watched to see what would happen. He blatted past like I was standing still, I noticed the cars in front moving over so followed him, of course not as quick nor as fast (keeping legal), but still enjoying the open road.  When I caught up with him a couple of minutes later at the lights I noticed the RS5 on the back and four pipes but did not have time to read the other writing on the back. 

That RS5 had a superb crisp exhaust note with a loud sharp crack as it changed up.  I’ve no idea what year it was (personal plate), but it looked a bit older and squarer than the pics I’ve been able to find on a casual search.  However, I’m happy to stick with what I’ve got.