What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

A few interior changes.

Roof down this afternoon ???

Spent some time cleaning up my NB and doing a few little jobs for an MOT test tomorrow. It’s been parked up on the driveway since last October and officially SORN’d since the end of December.

All seemed well apart from brake disc surface corrosion and the excessive movement on the handbrake lever. The latter was reduced by adjusting the rear calipers’ pad clearances.

i suspect the car might need a replacement cat convertor, it’s still got the original fitted and it’s over twenty years old. Last time it scraped through the emissions test after an “Italian tune up” to get it fully hot. I’ll just have to see how it goes tomorrow.

The paintwork had dulled very badly so the car got some polish as well.

After yesterday’s MOT with no advisories, I changed the coolant and gave it a tank full of V Power

We use a steamer at work on old and new train seats , it brings old flattened foam back to life and shape , also will tighten the material back to original size and shape . If using on leather put a cloth on the leather first to avoid scorching the leather and it will take out any creases. Take your time with it , give it a chance to work especially if using a domestic hand held steamer.

Our Mk2 just passed its MOT test with no advisories.

My usual MOT tester, who hadn’t seen the car before, admitted “he was expecting a rotbox” but was amazed to find no rust at all. I knew he wouldn’t find any, Mazda must have been more careful with these very early ones (mine appears to be the 1057th one made).

Just realised whilst filing the paperwork that today is actually the car’s 20th birthday and it’s been driven an average of 2,000 miles a year!

Had a bash at de-yellowing my headlights. Managed to find a headlight restoration kit kicking around at work so gave it a go.

It’s by no means perfect but it has removed the yellowing and 90% of the haze. Overall I’m quite pleased as you’re no longer drawn to the headlights when the car is clean and shiny. 

EDIT: got photos but apologies for size

Before

After

Gave my mk1 a blast in the rain knock the cobwebs off.

Gave the Mk4 a run out to blow away the cobwebs! 

Springtime at last!

Just took ours out on the motorway to give it the first “Italian tune up” of the year. It ran like a sewing machine, even though the fuel was possibly up to five months old…

Technically it was yesterday, but 4 new boots fitted. Went for the Khumo Ecsta PS71, happy with them so far :slight_smile:

What’s the glare like on the screen when the roof is down? I was tempted by a CarPlay stereo before i fitted my single DIN Kenwood (which I can use my iPhone for music and calls through) but was concerned about the sun wiping the screen out with the roof down. My afore mentioned  Kenwood can become slightly “see through” when the sun hits it depending on the backlight colour I use.

Just got a new softtop fitted by Peter of Maz Mania. Well worth the ferry ride to the UK. Top Job. Recommended.

Given it a jolly good thrashing around Sherburn and a York… 

Swapped the original speakers in my 2.5 for the upgraded ones from MX5 parts

Added a little lift to the interior, switch surround finished in silver to match the other silver trim. MX5parts want just under £81 for the pair, mine cost £2.99, well the paint did.

Booked her in for lowering by 30mm at Roddisons and also wheels headed over to local paint shop for refurbishment and a new colour… 

Fitted my Ventura Electronics reversing camera. A lot easier job than I thought it would be, took about 90 minutes.
The good thing, I was able to get it done before Mrs M came home and saw how much of the dash had to remove to connect the cable to the head unit. She was actually more concerned about drilling a hole in the back for the camera, when she did return it was all back together, and back in the garage, she never even noticed the camera above the numberplate.
Worked instantly and gives a good, if very low, rear view complete with an ‘aiming’ line and parking lines, when the sun comes back will have to find a car park to try it!

Removed the hardtop and fitted the MX5 Parts U Shaped Style bar and matching wind blocker. No instructions included with the style bar and had to find them online however they were next to useless anyway for both items! Anywho, looks smart all in, and even treated the old girl to a full tank of V Power ready for a day trip out tomorrow. 

Fitted half mesh grill to MK4