What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Work in progress.

YES!!!  That looks really nice Mick? Youve got a great finish on the dash decor panel? I bet youā€™re very pleased? 

Barrie

Wire brushed and painted the whole chassis with Underseal, wire brushed and black painted front & rear subframes and all suspension components, fitted Goodridge hoses all round, cleaned and painted all brake disc back plates then painted the calipers & mounting brackets red, to complete the look, the next job is to refurbish & paint the wheels and then clear lacquer. Iā€™ll post some pics when finished, bloody hard work but Iā€™ve absolutely loved every minute of itĀ 

^^^ Notice the blingy bit under that decor panel Barrie?

Still a work in progress, it was a test fit, the B&Q special.

Yes I did Mick. TBH I thought Iā€™d seen something similar on mx5Parts and just thought thatā€™s what it was? Looks good? 

Barrie

Started up my 93 Mk1 this morning.

Now the 2002 Sport has had all the money chucked at it that it requiresā€¦funds available to turn attention to the ā€œproperā€ Roadster in the family.Ā 

Iā€™ve not been kind to it. In fact, itā€™s been in itā€™s lock up for nearly 2 years without seeing day light, or being turned over.

Naturally, the Westco was goosed.Ā 4 tyres flat, and the interior has taken on an ā€œold churchā€ odour.

All the discs are shot, and I doubt Iā€™d even consider refurbing the existing calipers.Ā 

There will be a good few nasties underneath, but I knew that, to include sills/rear wings.

Ā 

You can barely tell itā€™s colour (BRG) thanks to roof damage I was not aware of.Ā 

OnĀ  the plus, it had had a host of bits done including a low miles 1840cc mill from AK Automotive, new rad, this that 'n another.

I filled the tank to the neck when I ā€œabandonedā€ it, and changed the oil with some fresh but cheap stuff with a cheapo filter. That wont be there for long.

Off we went to a local scrapper, got a 40amp Yuasa battery out a recent write off, paid a tenner, and connected it with jump leads as it wont fit really.

Why? Well, bottom line wasā€¦if the mill was seized or sick, say blowing gaskets, then the car would be offski.

Howeverā€¦1 turnā€¦all dash electrics light up. Ignition onā€¦blubā€¦blubā€¦blub blub. Cough.

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 2nd turnā€¦blub blubā€¦cough blub blubā€¦cough cough.

This is promising.

3rd /4th turn, much the same.

5th turnā€¦Houstonā€¦we have lift off.Ā 

Warmed it up for 15 minutes, underbonnet stuff all behaving. No leaks, mayo, nothing. Colling fan comes on. Lovely jubbly.

Let it tick over, which it does for 30 mins at 750/780 rpm quite happily. Time to give some. Sat for ten mins with between 2krpm to 5kā€¦still bang on.Ā 

I think itā€™s trying to tell me somethingā€¦in which caseā€¦total refurb bottom up.

Itā€™ll take till this time next yearā€¦it will be done properly. And on with the next 186,000 miles.

It just does not want to die. Poor wee S.O.D.Ā Ā 

This week,full leather refurb,black quilted with red stiching by seatsurgeon of York.Calibres painted also this week.

This thread is worthless without pics !!!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Fitted Cobalt exhaust, which looks much better with the Mazdaspeed rear diffuser, than the standard exhaust did.

Sounds great too, nice little burble and slightly louder but certainly not OTT, just a sportier note to it.

Many thanks to to my good friend for Micky for helping me out

(incidentally you should check out his MX150R race car build, its really stunning and quick! http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/9299/rebuilding-mx150r)

Ā 

cobalt exhaust fitted

Also many thanks to mr two.

Certainly looks good Paul.

However, Iā€™ve read many conflicting views on the Cobalt exhaust on this forum.  Some people agree with you that it just sounds a little more sporty, with a satisfying burble, but not overly intrusive, but others have described it as a ā€˜Fart Canā€™ - not totally sure what they mean by that !

I guess for someone who might be contemplating this move, it might be a good idea to listen to a 5 fitted with one, before investing in what is after all, a rather expensive purchase.

Had my mk4 Artic edition first service only done 3.000 miles serviced Ā in Mazda and ended up part ex it already for the pearl white sport nav RF In the showroom lol I just love the RF in this coulour should be ready for pick up on 14th mayĀ 

Ok a couple more pics of my mod so far.

Thinking Iā€™d like a chrome strip across the dash, MX5parts do them for circa Ā£40 + delivery of course, they only have the LHD fitment though. Itā€™s a bit steep for what it is.

A solution if you like a bit of bling, go visit your local big DIY shed. Itā€™ll cost a grand total of Ā£2.55p and a bit of 3M tape. Itā€™s not chrome but after a bit of elbow grease itā€™s got that brushed aluminium look, well it is aluminium strip, cut and shaped to fit.

Polished car and took a picture of it.

Ā 

Well done that man! I love when something gets used for a non intended purpose like that? I think it looks great against the new red finish of the decor panels, which incidentally, cost a lot of money if bought in colour as replacements from mx5parts? 

Barrie

Hi Barrie firstly was great to meet you at new year hall . can I say I love your 5 and what you have done just awesome , keep the pics coming dude regards Richy aka Topgun

Thank you! Nice to catch up with you too Richy  a great day out mate, weather was brilliant.

Barrie

VRs droopy eyeballs removed, dismantled, fixed & reinstalledĀ 

Four new tyresā€¦eek!

Installed Nextbase Duo HD dashcam with hardwire kit in my Mk3.5 soft top.Ā  My first dashcam.

This dashcam has two lenses so it records front and rear action at the same time without needing to wire up a separate rear camera.

Thought I had camera position spot on so stuck the base ontoĀ  the windscreen using supplied glue pad.Ā  After wiring it in, I realised the passengerā€™s sunvisor couldnā€™t be used. 10 tense minutes were spent getting the glued base off the windscreen.

After repositioning using the removeable sucker mount,Ā  I went for a test drive. Had to adjust the G sensor setting as almost every bump in the road triggered a ā€œfile protectionā€ message!

Video quality is pretty good. I was looking forward to the gps speedo display but itā€™s currently hidden behind the rearview mirror.

Not sure that the camera position is perfect yet, will post a photo when I am satisfied.

Gave the 5 a bit of attention over the weekend

• Repainted the calipers with a fresh coat of smooth red hammerite.
  • Greased the caliper slide pins
  • Removed the scuttle plate and silicone treated the grommets. Thought it better to head off a potential water ingress problem before it occurred. Have to admit I could not do that without removing the wiper arms and the scuttle plate to get at the grommets
  • Checked over the PRHT mechanics and hoovered the drain covers