What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Had to move it today as the camera position looked too low. Used the second and last supplied glue pad. Photos below.

Changed the door speakers (daughter bought me some vibe ones for my birthday), it still had the original ones had to cut off plugs and solder wires cause didn’t have adapter wire you can get. I thought the old ones were ok until I fitted the new ones as I had them out I sound deadened around them. And lubricated window mechanism (they fly up & down now) wow what a Difference. She was right the old ones were rubbish. 

Took the drivers door card off to investigate why the window wouldn’t lower more than 3 inches. Couldn’t see anything obvious,so put it back together

Started replacing rear discs on my mk1 Eunos weekend before last and all went well on near side but the offside calliper was seized. Very frustrating as the weather was so good and I haven’t had the hard top off long - was itching for some top down driving. Ordered a refurbished calliper form MX5 Parts which I fitted over weekend just gone. I painted the visible parts of the disc with silver Hammerite to avoid the unsightly inevitable later rust, which is looking good- so far! Echoing recent comments on another thread - far easier to get help bleeding the brakes - my cheap one man vacuum bleed kit did not work well at all as vacuum weak and connections onto the bleed nipple not air tight. My son helped me by pressing the break pedal and the braking is fantastic now and brake fade has disappeared.

While the car was on axle stands and wheels off I replaced the front mud guards and did a mini service.

Next job is to replace the speedo dial with one that shows both kph and mph for my trip to Italy in Aug - would like to know if anyone has experienced difficulties calibrating the speedo after fitting a new dial - one You Tube video suggests calibrating while driving the car!!!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

We appear to be working on parallel lines.

Mine due to sticking rear calipers.

A pair of recon units, new EBC Whisper Quiet disks and new Brembo pads.

Add a set of Hel stainless brake lines, a tin of red paint and a new copper brake line across the subframe.

Guess who’s MOT is due next month! 

Do Satnavs have the ability to be set in Kph, might be an easier alternative for your trip? Just a thought. 

Dave

Dave, if you still have the window problem take a look at the “MK2.5 Window Problems” thread recently added which might be of use to you?

It was the MOT today. (It passed)

It’s soooooo much easier to look over a car when its on a four poster,

and so much kinder on the knees and back.

I want one.

The issue with using copper ease etc on brake components is that over time the petroleum based grease attacks the rubber seals causing them to swell, then the pistons don’t retract properly so the brakes drag/bind. Pads and discs wear prematurely (or overheat if the binding is bad). Similarly if the grease comes into contact with any rubber boots/bellows they swell/distort and lose their seating, letting grit/salt/water etc in.

[quote=Roymondo]

I’ve always used red rubber grease on the slide pins.  Copper grease on the brake disc backing plates and pad locating points in the clips, use sparingly.

I’ve also wiped the caliper piston rubbers with red rubber grease after a clean up, again used sparingly.

Hi Matt,

As already stated Red Rubber Grease

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CASTROL-RED-RUBBER-GREASE-100g-BRAKE-CALIPER-REBUILDS/390893301672?hash=item5b030e6fa8:g:AnsAAOSwVExasBWi

If I remember correctly from here.

Dave

Well, a 4 poster didn’t arrive in the post but after £19.14 disappearing from my bank account a set of EBC front brake pads did.

The mechanic said I would soon need some, although IMHO there were 5000 miles left in them, or 5 laps of Snetterton.  

Anyway, done and dusted now, apart from the test run. Nice sunny afternoon, where’s the best place to eat a Magnum?

Paul G

Well I got my steering wheel back this week from Royal, Jack did great job and now I’ve added my own personal touch to the rest of it.

Had the hardtop sprayed in the proper colour.

Finished the wheel refurbishing yesterday, whilst i had the rear in the air i removed, wire brushed and heat resistant painted the rear box & pipe

And very nice it looks too! Have you had chance to drive it yet Mick? I loved the whole feel of it compared to the thinner, smoother OEM wheel. The red accents are a great look too, a job well done mate! 

Barrie

Looks very smart and the calipers compliment the colour of your car.  The rear box looks like new, a great idea.

Barrie

Very smart indeed, lovely looking mk1 liking the gold on the wheels too, very individual.

Barrie

Took the mark3 in for a full respray today, 2 weeks without her and look at the weather

Not tested properly Barrie, only a short round the block try to make sure the wheel is centred.

I did feel a difference, more of a snug fit in the hands, seems to make for a smoother steering feel too but that could be my imagination.

Out for a Sunday morning blast so will be more of a test, missus says like a kid with a new toy.