What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

advertised it…

Used a different foam detergent with my power washer to my usual one.  It’s certainly sudsy.

Mick i am loving that wheel,  is it possible you could let me have the details of where you got it from please? 

^^^ PM Sent

Today was the most important ever “What have you done in your MX5 today” day for me. I damaged my right knee two months ago and I’m still on crutches. I was beginning to think my MX5 days could be over, but I was relieved to discover that (as long as the hoods down) there’s plenty of room to slide an uncooperative right leg between the steering wheel and door, and once done the car is easier to drive than my tall van because the brake and accelerator peddles are on the same levels. So I won’t be giving up sports cars now I’ve reached pension age, I’ll just take a bit more time getting in and out.

Barrie

I thought I’d take advantage of the nice dry weather (all my tinkering has to be done outside - no garage), and seal the little grommets under the plastic panel under the windscreen (scuttle - is that what you call it ?).

No leaks as far as I know, but my 5 is ten tears old now, so it was really a bit of preventative maintenance.

Surprised how easy a job it was !

Yesterday and Today  - This lot … plus fitted 2 new reconditioned OE front calipers .

At the weekend we replaced what we believe was the original PVC hood.  It was all cracked at the edges above the doors and if it rained in the wrong direction then water would collect and then deposit itself the first time you braked.  This time we went for a Mohair roof which Paul from The Soft Top Shop supplied and fitted.  It looks very smart so I felt the rest of the car needed to be smartened up to match so it had a full pamper session.  A wash followed by clay-barring all over - we had the underside Dinitrol’ed last autumn and there was quite a lot of fine overspray on the body work.  That was followed by a polish and a wax with Autoglym HD Wax.  I cleaned all the nooks and crannies such as around the filler cap and the door hinges and even polished the end of the exhaust.  Finally I cleaned and fed the leather seats and cleaned and treated all the interior trim.  I still need to clean under the bonnet and I also want to wash the seat belts, but she is looking a lot better than she was.

Very nice. The new hood looks great.

We were very pleased with it and Paul did a very thorough job cleaning everything up first.  He even fixed the catches which have been loose since we had the car.  It wasn’t the cheapest hood but if it lasts as long as the original one did then it’s worth it.  I will have to wait until it rains to let you know if it has worked. 

Looks good, I see you chose to ignore the sign on the wall ??

Actually yesterday, fitted a set of delivery mileage 17” Sport Nav alloys and tyres and this morning washed and dried. Then put under cover in the garage, ready for the short trip down the road to Rockingham on Saturday. Won’t be on track but looking forward to what will be my first MX5 event.

This lot’s been over the past week or so, and in preparation for the upcoming Italian trip.

1) Fitted the blood pressure cuff mod that acts as a lumbar support for the drivers seat, such an easy job and so worthwhile! Laughing  Hopefully it’ll resolve my backache problem.

2) Fitted Silent Coat soundproofing to the full boot area and inner wings, not an easy job if you want to cover the whole thing but it works, even my wife noticed the difference. I’ll continue after we get back by doing the floors and doors…

3) … and obviously a thorough clean and polish ready for the journey, that will ensure torrential rain for our early morning start in nine days time!

^^^ No1, what’s that?

Fitted new CAS O ring and cam cover gasket due to oil leak from CAS

used guide in technical section

hopefully fixes the oil leak

hoover and interior clean

wash & dry ready for next outing

Fitted a new stereo and door speakers to my NBFL. The stereo needs a bit more work to get it to fit flush.

All I’ve done today is check all inside after the torrential rain in the night, the first proper rain since i bought the car. Only had my Mk3 three weeks but have cleaned the drains out. All bone dry thank God but must check the scuttle panel to be on the safe side. 

For the first time ever I’ve clayed a car, the mx5.

The white paintwork was suffering from contamination with lots of very small rust spots on the surface of the paintwork, probably from the brakes. The clay although hard work was amazing and removed pretty much everything that shouldn’t be on the paint which is now as smooth as glass to the touch. Tomorrow I’ll add a layer of wax for protection.