What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Here you go… 

http://www.billswebspace.com/MiataLumbarSupport.htm

On a previous tour I found that I was getting out of the car like a cripple at the end of the day, occasionally having to ‘unwind’ my back by walking my hands up a wall.

I checked on the US websites (as they do larger mileages than us generally) to find this was quite a common problem caused by there being no lumbar support on the seats. Using a (Ebay sourced) replacement blood pressure cuff  inserted into the back of the seat resolves this (I hope), inflating the cuff by use of the (Ebay again) hand pump bulb provides the adjustable lumbar support. I’ve only done short runs and so far it feels good, and all for around £10. 

Excellent, you should put that in the mods section with link. Never heard or even thought of doing that so thanks for explaining

Strange I get backache in my other car and that has more adjustment than the NC, the NC I can happily drive any distance with no problems, sometimes the right leg seizes up and I need to stop to stretch the legs but that’s just an age thing I reckon.

Having only got the car on Wednesday I’ve not had a great deal of good weather to do stuff, but this weekend provided a couple of afternoons, so I have done:

1. Swapped my personalised plates onto it.

2. removed and refitted a parrot Bluetooth car kit that came very badly fitted in it.

3. added a dash cam

4. Given it a wash and wax

and of course gone for some nice drives, and shown it off to the neighbours 

Just one more thing - I saw a note on a recent post on the Miata Forum that someone who had done this mod had also put either cardboard or similar sandwiched between the springs and the bladder, but I didn’t realise the reasoning behind it until today when there was a strange noise behind the seat leading me to believe the bladder had exploded.

However on checking I found that on full inflation the bladder had just popped out from under the spring and there was no damage.  So I raided my wife’s Tupperware collection liberating a large rectangular plastic lid which I positioned between the spring and the bladder to provide the necessary support. Hopefully that’s sorted it!

Got my car MOT’d after 2 years off the road. Was in a bit of a state…before

Same story in all four corners.

After alot of time cutting, welding in repair pannels, plenty of 0.9mm zintec sheet and a spray…

After

after 2

Passed without any advisories!!!

A bit late for Rockingham but looking forward racking up some miles.

Took the mk1 to the sprayer today. After cutting out the rear arch as we!ding in the new panels thought I would let a professional paint it! (Would put up pictures but had no success yet!!) Should get it back Friday, can’t wait!

Removed led side lights (as you never know when they are going to fail) and fitted the correct bulbs, MOT 8am Friday.

I have literally had to drag myself out of bed at 6.30am (i have shingles and every fibre of my body is painful) to take the 5 for it’s annual MOT, after an hour the good news it has passed and no advisories. This car is now eleven years old and has never had an advisory, so that cheered me up for all of 5 min until i had to drive painfully home.
Needless to say it is now back in the garage until my health improves.

Sorry to hear you’re  poorly Dave. Get well soon mate  Nice that car isn’t though? 

Barrie

Cheers Barrie, i thought i had slipped another disc (i have 3 others collapsed) the pain was that bad, then the blisters started across my back, left inner thigh and foot.
I wouldn’t wish this on anybody, possibly 4/5 weeks off work and i can’t at the moment even potter about with the 5 and the sun is shining.

With the kind info from MickAP i have my new wheel ordered from Royal but with blue stitching, can’t wait for it to arrive 

Finally replaced the standard urethane steering wheel with a lovely black leather Nardi on the Merlot 

Got my Mk1 back from the sprayers today, done both rear quarter panels and both doors and they mopped it as well. Me and my son welded in a complete rear arch panel and done our best in filling and priming but the professionals give it another skim of filler! It looks superb now and the paint match (silver) is spot on. Cost £400 all in. The company we used were called ‘Krunched-It’ based on Canvey Island, I would definitely recommend them.

Fitted a lower mesh grille. 

Despite not having had a holed radiator since about 1976, when I had to clap a handful of Leicestershire clay on to the rad of a Morris Oxford on the M1, I had got it into my head that the ND needs some protection.  And maybe it does.  The slots in the standard grille are very wide, and considerably lower than on most cars, and I have already have some stone damage to the paint at that height.

Went for black, after some consideration and having seen a full polished stainless steel one on a similar Arctic at the Spring Rally.  That made a lot of sense, the car having silver painted mirror housings and windscreen surround.  It also looked perfectly in keeping.

But I decided to leave the appearance as near to standard as possible and whilst I wouldn’t say it improves the appearance, and it could have done without the Zunsport badge, I’m content with it.

Sold it

Fitted the same to mine some time ago, it looks good and gives peace of mind!

I fitted the same lower grill to mine, but I removed the Zunsport badge which peels off easily and replaced it with an MX5 boot badge from a Mk2. I removed the fixing pins from the badge and stuck to blank plate with double sided tape, not my idea as someone else on the forum had done it with their Mk3.

It’s a thought:)

Hi John M it was me who Red FR is referring to above. It was about 8 months ago and if you want to check out the photos you will find them in the ‘Show Us Your Mods’ section of the forum on page 3.

Sorry Jaydoubleyuo I tried to find your original post so that I could quote you but failed, on the Ouzo so brain not totally in gear ?? See my spotted post for the reason ??