What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

No worries

On Sunday the NCĀ  was washed, and polished, and blow-dried for ten quick miles, and vacuumed, all beautiful and ready for the Hanworth show on the 24th.

Today there was the suggestion; ā€œIts a lovely day for a drive.Ā  Lets go to Stowe by the back roads.ā€Ā 

OK, I like the run up past Amersham and Aylesbury, some opportunities for blowing out cobwebs.Ā  However several of the roads after Aylesbury were being resurfaced and some were closed, adding almost another hour in interesting narrow country lane detours, and taking us through the heart of Buckingham at school chucking out time for more delay.Ā  So we only had an hour in Stowe, not enough time to see the gardens, but enough for a cake and tea and a wander in the NT shop.Ā 

Outbound took two and a half hours, return via Brackley and M40 with lid up just an hour.Ā 

And when we returned after todayā€™s 112 miles, the garage door opener did not respond!Ā  Fortunately there is another way in.Ā  The 40W filament bulb on the opener (to light the way in/out) had blown after twenty-five years and taken the little fuse inside the box with it.Ā  A new fuse and a 4W LED lamp and the opener worked again - phew!

Tomorrow I shall be washing, polishing, blow-drying and vacuuming the NC to remove the multitude of fly splats and the dust and tiny tar specks.

Lumber Support Update -

Ā Just completed 2,200 miles around France and Italy over the last two weeks and Iā€™m pleased to confirm that the DIY lumbar support is a resounding success! No back ache, no pain, no discomfortā€¦ the best Ā£15 Iā€™ve spent on the MX to dateĀ Ā 

http://www.billswebspace.com/MiataLumbarSupport.htm

Ā 

The passenger side windscreen washer turned into a dribble, why??

It wasnā€™t a blocked jet, the pipe to it was blocked so off with the scuttle panel to get at the offending pipe. Iā€™m guessing as itā€™s rarely used the water in the pipe had turned into a horrid black gunge, all flowing nicely again.

Had the MOT done today passed no advisories well pleasedĀ  worse than goinig to the dentist.

Ā 

Got my steering wheel back from Royal today, ā– ā– ā– , I absolutely love it, the quality, the feel and the level of service all totally top drawer 

^^^^ He does a quality jobĀ 

So many members have used his services, we should ask for club discount

Ā 

MOT and service. No advisaries, but turns out someone had made a rubbish job of changing the headlight bulbsĀ Embarassed

Swift drive home. Very glad to be back in my NA after a day in the NC loaner. Itā€™s interesting how despite the Mk3 being superior in almost every way, it didnā€™t make me smile.Ā 

Oil change today.

I hate doing the oil filter on these but this time it seemed a good deal easier and no mess.

Not today, but yesterday a pigeon head-butted the NC on my way to work. Didnā€™t do the pigeon a lot of good :frowning:

Anyway, on arrival at work I noticed that the O/S front foglamp was missing from its usual place. Fortunately it was lying undamaged inside the front bumper, so it was just a matter of removing half a dozen plastic rivets and several screws to gain access underneath and pop it back onto its mounting clips. Seeing how easy it is to remove/replace the foglamps has got me wondering about the combined DRL/foglamp units available from mx5parts.co.ukā€¦Ā Ā 

A very pleasant afternoons drive

Exactly Don - nothing else to do but go for a lovely topless ride in the sun - fab !

Met up with a bunch of mates in Ashdown Forest for lunch; very convivial and a great cross-country driveā€¦Ā 

MX5Driver @ The Roebuck Hotel, Wych Cross

Nice spread of colours thereā€¦

There is something wrong there, if you have only popped it back in place with the bayonet type clips, you should have three self tapping screws securing the fog light mount to the bumper.

I think you need to have a second look, i have fitted two lots of LED fog lights recently and distinctly remember self tapping screws.

As you can see each of the fog-light bezels have three mounting holes.

No, I saw nothing like that. I didnā€™t take photos but all I had was a near-circular hole in the bumper with three tabs (at 3,6 and 9 oā€™clock) and a locating peg at the 12 oā€™clock position. All were moulded as part of the bumper. The foglamp unit simply clipped into those mountings. It has a circular bezel around it but nothing like the picture you posted. Certainly no self-tappers.

According to the mx5parts website the bezels with self-tappers are required for cars that didnā€™t come with factory-fitted fog lamps (mine has them).

Sold my 1991 Mk1Ā 

& bought a Mk3.5 Miyako

There should be 2 or 3 screws holding the bezel in place . . .

Had another look and yes, there are two screws. Both still screwed firmly into their respective bosses, both of which have snapped clean off the bumper. Dammit.

PXā€™d this:

MX5 NB Liverpool

Ā 

for this:

New NC