What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Looks like a great day.  I like those couple of pics with an NC and ND right beside each other.  Although a lot of people have said that the ND has changed the look of the 5, some of your pics clearly show that the family resemblance is still there.

Waited until 8:30pm and then gave it a thorough wash and dry. Unfortunately, it showed up a number of bumper scrateches that weren’t evident in the bright sunshine when I bought it and the gritty feel definitely irks. 

I must get in touch with Chris in Bingley. 

Getting the front end ready for pressure wash, wire brushing when dry (Optrex needed ) aquasteel then Dinitrol. Let the fun begin

Washed it - washed it - went for a drive

John

clean

Investigating my overheating problem some more - took fan out completely so I could assess all of the radiator & not run the risk of getting caught on the fan.

So while the fan & it’s cowling were out I detailed them - looks like new now (almost), might do similar with the engine bay tomorrow - & cold spots to the passenger side of the radiator - where the fan would have been - looks like a new radiator is on the cards, which I was sure was tehcase anyway - nice to confirm it myself though 

Finally took the Dremel to the boot lid, a job I’ve been meaning to do for ages. The corrosion around the number plate lights has been ground back and primed, finish coat next.

Tried the tailor made Winter mats for size, perfect, then fitted the summer ones.

This mod …

A nice sound improvement !!

A nice sound improvement !!

And removed this load of stuff …

Just spent One and One half hours fitting mud flaps front and rear, more time spent removing wheels than the actual fitting, noticed that the underside needs some wire brushing in certain areas and some time with Hammerite and under seal.

Still, keeps you active when your getting on a bit.

Nothing…it’s too hot!

Had my Mk 3.5 MOT’d. A couple of advisories for tyres being a bit cracked, which I knew about and will change soon, but no problems other than that. Always a relief when they tell you it’s passed. Emission readings were particularly good. Was obviously worthwhile getting the vacuum on the air filter element.

Ian

Fitted the reversing camera kit that I've been working on for the last couple of months. Took quite a bit of trial and error to find suitable parts to integrate with the MZD Connect system but got there in the end. Everything worked the way it should on my test rig but still rather relieved when the image popped up on the screen as soon as reverse was selected.

I'm going to be making up more kits for sale in a month or so. Going to be a whole lot cheaper than the other aftermarket kits on the market and as for the price of the Mazda kit, how much?!

I'll be posting a for sale listing on here when available and listing on eBay too. (Cheaper here but don't tell anyone). ;)

Had quite a productive time fiddling with the new NC.

First removal of this…

Chrome Fuel Lid

No disrespect to those who like the chrome ones, but I much prefer the original and fortunately the previous owner had left it in the boot…

Original Filler Cap

Then to remove the Parrot bluetooth kit also a legacy of the previous owner. Must have been quite a feat to get all this lot behind the dash and it didn’t give up without a struggle…

Removed Parrot

Then to add some chrome that I do like…

Climate rings

…and some aluminium too:

Pedals

Swapped out original wiper stalk for variable intermittent version…

Variable Wiper Stalk

Leather gear lever and handbrake gaiters to replace the vinyl ones, and IL Motorsports centre storage box instead of cup holders…

Centre Box & Gaiters

…modified box slightly to fit dual USB charger instead of supplied extra 12v socket:

Centre Box USB

Two big remaining jobs are to install Android head unit and swap front fogs for combined fog/DRL’s, but they will have to wait for another day!

Took it in to FL Mazda. After 6 weeks of trying to get it running right I’ve finally given in. It’ll be recovered it from its previous owner’s negligence one day.

A couple more simple jobs today.

Fitted these……………

………and these.

Drove from Trogir in Croatia to Kotor Montenegro. For those who drive this area it is still not possible to buy Bosnia insurance on the coast road border but they still don’t check anyway. Montenegro still checks and the worthless piece of paper still costs 15 Euros. Border queues not to bad on either crossing. Montenegro took about an hour. 

These are much better than the ones I sold to Shiny Shiro. Cost now’t and very easy to fit. Result!

fitted variable intermittent wiper up grade to my NC