What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Yep it’s an easy fit  fantastic addition to any RF! 

Hi everyone, I’ve  just added chrome mirrors and fuel filler cover to complement the wheels and rack.

Looks great Gaz 

Yep, love a nice red mk1 

Barrie

Not the MX5 but the MX5s home, i painted the garage door with Hammerite garage door paint and i have to say it is very easy to apply and excellent coverage and finish.

Just given mine a once over after driving the Highlands of Scotland over the last 18 days or so, it does need a a thorough detail though, plenty of bugs left there mark.

The mystery rattle on cold start up has disappeared now back home, it’s still going up on the ramps to investigate where I hit a brick.

Fitted yellow spot anti roll bars from an RX8 to the front. Job went much better than expected. Mounting bolts came undone without issue, drop links (very recently replaced) undid without the need for an allen key or a grinder as did the abs sensor wire mount. I managed to wiggle the old bar out and the new bar in through the gap between the bottom wishbone and the steering control rod. 80 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. Hardly a swear word was uttered and knuckles remain intact. It’s been a good day so far. Off outside to do the rears this afternoon.

Refreshed the leather on the seats, hoovered and re-blacked the interior, cleaned and waxed the body, then re-waterproofed the hood.

Next week its new wiper blades, refurbing the shift boots, and rebuilding + painting the front calipers (all going well, the next week will be the rears because they’re all sticking slightly).

Busy, busy, busy :stuck_out_tongue:

The missus bought me an early birthday pressie of a Pioneer 2 DIN stereo that was on sale in Halfords to replace the Sony single DIN one that was in my new MX5. The old one wasn’t bluetooth and lit up a horrific neon blue which wasnt dimmable - it was awful at night glaring away at me. i can change the illumination to any colour on the new one and also dim it - it looks much better with an orangey red setting and sounds hugely better. Oh and i can actually use it as well - the Sony was really complicated and had tiny buttons.

Perhaps more importantly i saved a £50 fitting fee by having a go at it myself - it was a doddle and i have all the microphone and USB wiring nicely hidden away :slight_smile:

Fitted yellow a yellow spot anti roll bar on the back to match the one on the front. 25 mins from wheels up to wheels down. Has made a massive difference to how the car feels and responds. Best £90 (for both incl new bushes) I’ve spent in a while

Having completed an overhaul and clean up of the suspension, fitting eibach -30mm springs, RX8 yellow spot arbs and a refurbed RSW wheel, today it was all pulled together with an alignment session with Paul at Roddisons.

Not entirely straightforward as some issues with bolts stuck to the bush centres restricting available adjustment, but now the steering wheel is straight and I have a car that feels very light and balanced, with really precise cornering. Really grateful to Paul for his great explanations of each step and his advice.

Downside was a top run home through Bakewell and Ashbourne spoiled by bank holiday traffic, so the full test will have to wait another week or so.

Anyways, thanks for a real pro job from Roddisons and here goes another convert to four wheel alignment

First post here. Got under my 2005 NBFL S-VT Sport to find the source of a knocking sound when going over bumps. My best guess was the anti-roll bar and it seems I was correct. Gonna order new drop-links and bushes.

Only thing is… I’m not sure what size bushes I need. mx5parts.co.uk show a 20mm and a 22mm size bush. Can’t find a parts number on the ARB so measured the circumference and calculated a diameter of about 23.4mm… Can anyone shed any light on this?

Oh and… Here’s the car 

Lowered today! 

Eibach Pro Sport springs!   

1998 NB 1.8, 42,500 miles. Will be touring with the car in a couple of weeks time so:

Changed the engine oil & filter.

Also changed the gearbox and diff oil as there was no written record of these being changed before. The old oil was clean as a whistle anyway, with minimal metal swarf on the magnetic drain plugs.

I straightened out the rather dented (!) metal undertray before refitting it.

Waxoyled every nut and bolt I could get to. Thankfully there is no structural rust on this car, despite it being one of the earliest Mk2s, now over 21 years old.

I need to give it a wash and polish, fit the boot rack and change over to the alloy wheels (it’s still on its winter steel wheels and tyres).

Car looks great Bru!, suits the car perfectly. Nice to see a black car deep shine too!

Regards Gaz…

New ABS ring and front and middle exhaust replacement.

??

MOT 8.30am.
Passed with no advisories again, car will be 12 years old tomorrow and never had an advisory and still on original battery.
Relax for another 12 months.

Cleaned two weeks of Scottish dirt and bugs from her, then polished and waxed, ready for Thruxton meeting on Sunday.

Cheers Gaz… I am a bit obsessed with cleaning it! My wife says I have issues! :LolLolLolLol:

Alignment sorted today after a trip out to Sheffield to see Paul… I also have a head full of knowledge about the MK4 now!