What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Fitted wooden steering wheel, gear-lever and handbrake handle to my NB

Today was my first day of freedom after testing positive for the dreaded lurgy and being confined to the en-suite on my own :smiley:

Managed to grab a bit of daylight after finishing work to fit @Roadie excellent boot lid strip and an LED reversing light (thanks to @Jeff_jthspace for the inspiration) 2 pictures because I didnā€™t close the boot lid properly after changing the reversing bulb :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Love it. Thanks for the plug.

Who will be the first to spot another LED strip equipped on the road?

Good to hear you are now lurgy free. :grinning:

I just added the lower Zunsport grill in black, took about 90 seconds in the dark.

4 Likes

Bought a USB/Aux/chip dongle to plug in the back of the stock NC headunit. The dongle will live either in the net or the glove box, depending of Distaff preferences.

It matches the limited CD playing capabilities of the headunit, and emulates a 6xCD player, so when using the buttons on the headunit to look for tracks it allow 6 folders each containing up to 99 tracks. This means building the track lists on the chip or USB stick accordingly. It does not have Bluetooth (about Ā£20 more expensive), but then we donā€™t use that for anything anyway.

However, the Aux input allows a much smarter device with intelligent track selection across greater depth of folders to plug in, and then the headunit emulates a pair of big loud headphones, as normal.

The USB can supply up to 500mA.

Knuckles a bit skinned this afternoon going in through the glovebox aperture, but I did not need to remove the headunit having made up a little tool to squeeze the Accessory plug clip last time I played with it, although with hindsight I should have - it would probably have been quicker.

I forgot to take pictures in the car yesterday, here are a couple of it working today, this one off the Aux with an earplayer

and this off the SD chip, screen showing 3rd folder selected with Disc up/down arrows on headunit and track 10 on steering wheel up/down button

Mode button on steering wheel steps through the usual options and now includes the CD emulator. It is slightly flakey in which input the emulator chooses, and it is better to select directly on the headunit.

I now have the old Mazda iPod adaptor and a more recent earplayer lead going begging.

5 Likes

As someone who owns a MK3, who hates the rear lights on the MK3 with a passion, these lights look so good on the MK4, they have a high quality look about them.

1 Like

Cristaples. Looks like you have got the ā€˜Ark of the Covenantā€™ in your boot! Where is Indiana Jones?

1 Like

I know. Red LEDs stuck up around the top. Took about 5 minutes with wiring it up. Got the same in the footwells too! :grin:

1 Like

I did wonder where that ethereal glow was coming from! :+1:

Barrie

1 Like

Today, I (commissioned cough, coughā€¦) a stainless steel, high flow, 4 into 1 exhaust manifold and fitting, Pipercross panel filter, plus re-mapping on my NC from them clever dudes at Blink Motorsport. Itā€™s their ā€œOptimized Re-Map Power Packageā€

I had some left over from my putting them in my kick drum in my main pastime, drumming, made sense to put them in the boot and do the welcome light thing with the car.

1 Like

Ruined it I think. Unsure yet. Managed to get a Cobalt back box and fit it VERY late yesterday night after driving a friends car with one on. Donā€™t think I like it :rofl:
So watch the for sale section if youā€™re after a 50 mile old Cobalt ND rear silencer :eyes:
Iā€™ll be selling the car next spring tho so might see how it goes because I only use it in the nice weather normally.

What donā€™t you like about it? Too noisy/quiet or just the tone?

Too noisy.
To be honest itā€™s exactly what I wanted, but now I have it I donā€™t like it :see_no_evil:.
Itā€™s about 20% louder than standard and the actual note is beautiful. Smooth, deep, rich. It looks great and is of high build quality. The fit is excellent. At idle itā€™s as quiet as stock. On hard throttle itā€™s lovely too, couldnā€™t have been better.
But, on the motorway at 80 itā€™s just too loud. Itā€™s not LOUD just louder than standard and I find it intrusive.

I think Iā€™ve been spoiled by driving a BMW140i if Iā€™m honest. I wanted that as my daily and the MX for weekends. But the BMW is sooooo smooth, fast, comfortable, nice place to be, easy to get in and outā€¦ I just love it so the MX isnā€™t getting a look in any more. Thatā€™s why I think the car is going to be for sale next spring when soft tops become popular again.

Have you removed the under-bonnet sound tube? That will quieten the cockpit and leave the Cobalt sound behind you where it belongs. I removed the sound tube before fitting the Cobalt and had a few weeks of silent bliss - it made such a difference I realised I could even hear the relay click on the intermittent wipers with the sound tube gone. After fitting the Cobalt I was back to having a proper sounding car.

Errr thereā€™s an obvious issue if itā€™s loud on the motorway at 80. Like not writing on a public forum that you are speeding? Just sayinā€™ :wink:

1 Like

Ah, but 80 indicated is probably 76 on GPS so possibly just about OK (maybe?).

1 Like

Probably on his way back from FRANCE to get home in time for the lockdown :+1::wink::wink:

3 Likes

Eh? Three people obviously get this but I donā€™t!

In France the motorway speed limit is 130 kph and so, unlike in the UK, Mrbarry wouldnā€™t have been breaking the speed limit doing 80 mph over there.

2 Likes