What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

:joy::joy: Well done. :+1:

I always do 80 on the motorway. I’ll post it where ever you like. It’s actually around 74 on my sat nav.
Sound tube went months ago, what a stupid thing! Much nicer without it. The cobalt is now off the car and back in the box. I’ll be selling it the weekend.

1 Like

Have to say, the sound tube is a weird concept.

Has any other manufacturer ever done this?

The closest I’m aware of is the diesel Maserati someone I know had.
It sounded like a V8 muscle car.
When I googled how this was achieved, it turned out there are speakers under the car that produce a switchable ‘soundtrack’ according to revs and throttle.
It occurs to me that you could arrange such a thing to play through the stereo using the obd port for input.
I’ll bet its been done and you can have your very own V8 soundtrack at whatever volume you like.
Sooo much better than a silly tube…

The NC has a sound tube, lots of manufacturers have variants of the same thing. BMW play sounds via the speakers (from memory), Mercedes play white noise that is the opposite of the noise from outside the car, hence silent interiors (imagine very expensive noise cancelling headphones). What I wanted on my ND is real car noise, not piped musak from the engine bay. I am very happy with my Cobalt and a number of people in my local club have commented on how nice it sounds.

I also have a Cobalt on my Eunos and it’s great to follow behind it and hear it from another cars perspective. Following behind in a long tunnel in France was a treat :slight_smile:

Hiya. Just have a look here! :grinning:

Barrie

2 Likes

They’ve only got the Ferrari V12 option left, hmm! Ferrari is my favourite other car and red, well I 'm tempted. :grin:

Well only for a few seconds :smile:

1 Like

Brilliant!

I knew it had to exist.

Very reasonable price too…

1 Like

BMW use it a lot, on the Mini Cooper S they have a speaker behind the nearside rear panel (right hand drive) that enhances (their words) the engine sound matched to the revs, it’s called ASD (active sound design).
I had just the 3 cylinder Cooper which it was never fitted it to, thank god.

Had the same In my Focus ST back in 2007

It would be rather nice to have a noise-cancelling system that could be tuned to cancel out the road noise…

That looks like great fun… for about five minutes.

1 Like

quick polish

7 Likes

I was hoping for a Rolls-Royce Merlin option…

5 Likes

Having purchased a 2nd MX5 as a winter ‘something to do’, it is now at my Son’s house and off road waiting for one of his garages to be cleared out, as i can’t do anything major to it at the moment i spent 4 hours yesterday polishing both front wings and bonnet, removed both number plates, cleaned the offside drain hole and spent a good hour trying to rod the nearside drain without success.
If the rain holds off today i am going to try putting the trombone brush in my cordless drill and gently spin the brush to see if that will clear it, otherwise it’s going to be a strip down to access the hoses from behind the seat panel.
Some surprises found contrary to the last mot reports, both rear springs are brand new, brake discs are new and possibly newish calipers, so i’m waiting for garage spacer before i can really get going.
Some pictures.

11 Likes

Duplicate post removed.

An open pipe Harley option could be interesting :thinking:

Well done Dave :+1: loving the new addition to the fleet! One of my favourite editions :ok_hand:
Barrie

That looks bl00dy lovely. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

looks a nice motor dave , plenty to “tinker” with :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Today managed to clear my nearside drain hole by jacking the car up, locating the drain and then using a tie wrap i managed to dislodge all the smelly gunk which then allowed me to get the trombone brush down and through…just hoping i’ve not damaged or reversed the one way flap.
I then spent an hour polishing the light lenses which were flagged on an old mot as deteriorated, i’ll redo them and lacquer the lenses when the weather allows, (smothered in wax now).
Then as i was packing the car up for the day i noticed the AC dial not lighting up and blower not working…it never ends, fuse check and motor test tomorrow.

3 Likes