What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Covered the upper dash panel, meter hood and steering wheel in Alcantara, and the decoration panels in carbon fibre. Also fitted a carbon fibre sticker over the hazard light switch panel. While the steering wheel was off, I fitted cruise control buttons, ready for the aftermarket cruise control unit I bought last year. Hopefully fit that next.

8 Likes

Removed seats to clean carpet, and fit sound insulation under the carpet behind the seats.

1 Like

Better than a massive seagull, which were my first thoughts!

2 Likes

Quality workmanship

1 Like

Alpine DAB hands free unit installed

1 Like

A quick clean with the clay glove & ceramic wax.

6 Likes

Been watching paint dry !
Front wings sanded internally and leading lips, de-greased and subjected to 3 coats of Buzzweld rust encapsulator for good measure.
Lets see you rust now you bar stewards :yum:
Tomorrow a couple of coats of Motip stone chip should fettle them further.

2 Likes

Installed aftermarket cruise control. Fairly easy to do and works with OEM steering wheel controls.

1 Like

Soft Top Rubbing Hoops ND4

It’s a well documented issue that the soft top should be opened and latched from the OUTSIDE of the car and, after latching, press the rear of the soft top so as to seat it flat. This is clearly stated in the owners manual.

To stop roof rubbing on the hoops, there is a Mazda fix of removing the complete soft top and shimming the fixings, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Mazda have, on occasion, replaced a soft top where the rubbing has worn through the leading edge of the material.

GT tops (with the headliner) are more susceptible to damage as they are thicker and don’t fold as easily.

There are massive threads on a U.S. site saying everything from Lemon Laws to Human Rights - “it’s a soft top, soft tops are opened from inside the car” . . .

Anyway, one of the posters came up with a solution of shaving some of the hoop leading edge to get a few mm of extra gap and this is what I have done today.

Getting the faffing hoop apart led to skin and blood donation as the edges of the plastic parts are rather sharp. There is a page in the workshop manual on how to get the 11 clips and two hooks apart on EACH hoop garnish. There is then one screw to undo to get the black hoop off. I think the car looks better without the hoop and garnish . . shame the rollbar isn’t chromed.

Shaving - I used a dremel with varying sanding drums to take the leading edge off

After sanding, I gave the scar a quick “flash” of Humbrol gloss black. The surgery is not visible with the roof up or down.

This is the gap that is now available when shutting the roof from INSIDE the car.

Some cars don’t seem to suffer the gap issue, some do. Mine did. Anyway I will still open and latch the roof from outside the car whenever possible, but now, if I drop the top at the traffic lights, I can do it easier and not have to worry what’s rubbing :)

1 Like

MOT pass and ready for a run out :+1:

4 Likes

Gtechnic Liquid crystal

Goodbye wax forever

5 Likes

That looks awesome Daveya! Do you mind me asking how much it cost to get it done / diy?

Just me, liquid crystal ain’t cheap over 11 quid I think but you then top it up and use quick detailer as well, so much easier than wax and the water beading is superb

For £11 that’s a great looking finish! Was it easy to apply, and how often does it need re-doing?

Spray on, wipe, then buff straight away, took 10 mins for whole car, probably doesn’t need doing very often tbh

1 Like

Have you got a link to where you bought it from? Looks like a worthy purchase :+1:

16 quid sorry bought a load of stuff and forgot what was what
Probably get it cheaper elsewhere but this Gtechnic is recommended by detailers

Cheers mate, I’ll get some bought. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

So much easier than wax, loads of YouTubes , post the results!

Thats fantastic! Seems a great price too! This has popped up a few times with folk wanting CC on their cars. Did you get any pics at all and was it easy as suggested on the website? I’m OK as my Sport Tech has OEM CC fitted but is obviously of interest.

Barrie