What is suspension worth?

Apologies if this isn’t the right section for this.

Basically I’ve set aside my sport tech standard bilstein suspension from a 1 owner 32k car, I’ve always done this with all my cars but never actually refitted any parts once removed.

Rather than them sit around unused and wasting away I thought about just selling them as I have a full tein Coilover setup and in the unlikely event they ever went wrong I’d likely replace them with the same.

Question I have is what is a reasonable price to ask for them? They are in excellent condition from a 2014 sport tech and aside from the usual bit of surface rust around the bottom mounts and the upper rubber spring covers having some splits but aside from that they are unbelievably good for 10 years old, I’ve pulled stuff off a 3 year old car in worse condition. Also have pretty much rust free arbs with serviceable droplinks attached.

Any suggestions would be great :+1:.

I sold the same for £100 when I replaced them with MeisterR’s. Mine were excellent too and could possibly have got maybe £150, but I usually price things to sell to ensure they go quickly.

normally the standard parts go in the bin, if you find someone whose going back to stock then great but tbh worth more to you i guess.

I had a Bilstein shock let go on my ND at thirty-odd thousand miles (somewhere in the mid-30s I think) so it’s very hard to gauge what life is really left in yours, IMHO. I’m not disagreeing with your assessment of their condition, but would think that they are only useful to someone who is forced to replace standard suspension and is on a tight budget.

As for the ARBs, I have no idea - I’ve got the ones off my ND kicking about in my garage. Like you, I hold onto the stock parts “just in case” or for if the next owner wants to go back to stock.

I think you could get £200 easy.

Cheers all. I’m certainly not throwing them away but it’s one of those, if they’re hardly worth anything then it’s not worth selling. I was just thinking on the basis that they’d fit all mk3s and lots of shocks out there will be rusty or knackered. Certainly beats buying all new at the prices they want.

I wire brushed them up anyway to remove any flaky paint and surface rust, 2 coats of galva zinc and some satin black. Not a world class paint job by any means but should protect the bottom mounts from corroding any more.

1 Like

I’ll offer £150 posted.

Hi Beryl, I literally just stuck them on ebay for 7 days. If I have no joy I’ll get a postage quote and let you know :+1:.

Just to say ‘ £150 posted’ means you absorb the postage costs. At the end of the day they are ten years old then sat around doing nothing.
For me it’s a way of lowering the car cheaply as mine is one of those that looks like it’s on stilts as standard….

Of course I understood what you meant. I’ve taken a punt with eBay as I’ve had some success on there recently - there’s 12 watchers so it think they’ll go. It’s not that they’re 10 years old, it’s more the overall condition for their age seems a rarity being way above what I’m seeing for sale. :+1:

Still 23 hours for a bidding war to break out :slight_smile: Genuinely good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

They have only been off the car since October/November time.

On the bright side you have extra clearance for all the floodwater we’ve seen lately :wink:

1 Like

Haha! Does look a bit ‘boaty’ too.

Read in search that the top mounts may be different in the soft and folding hard top. Anyone have a clue about this? Thanks.

I can’t confirm if they’re different but I can confirm the coilovers I have fit both the prht and soft top so there can’t be a lot of difference between the two…

Fair enough. If you have decided to sell, my offer is still there.

Sorry yes they sold now. I thought the auction ended and was going to come back to you but they automatically relisted and somebody bought them straight away.

Thanks anyway :+1:.

At the price you can get for them I’d have kept them as backup myself. …. :busts_in_silhouette::wink:

I have sat on parts with all my previous cars and in the end they just sit in sheds and lofts taking up space until eventually going on ebay or being thrown out if nobody wants bit and I’ve sold the car. My last set of teins lasted well and never failed and I’ve no plans of taking them off :+1: