What is this bit called? 🤔

looking from front to back on drivers side, what is this bit called?

this isn’t mine btw

thanks

2 Likes

Anti Roll Bar Drop Link :blush:
arl

Lower wishbone arm ?

nah, it wasnt a great pic, but best i could find quick. it’s just the little bit that connects the roll bar to the lower wishbone.

just out of interest, does anyone know if its possible to drive with one of these snapped and not notice? i think i did yesterday. certainly not going to try it again. :astonished:

3 Likes

Yes drop link.
I had a front one come apart, didn’t know until I’d actually looked under the car at something else (arch liner clips) car didn’t feel any different. Then again it could have only come apart within a mile, coming on to my driveway, who knows?

3 Likes

Possibly you might notice more roll in nice tight corners (roundabouts are a favourite of mine; such an urban kid)

3 Likes

the reason it was hard to find to find a pic was i kept getting results that didnt have them. they can’t be optional surely?

Eer no there deffo needed

4 Likes

They can be a pain to remove, i opted to grind the nut off and push out with help of punch and hammer on my nc.

2 Likes

Some people do disconnect the rear ARB, so technically, not needed.

4 Likes

Rusty?

2 Likes

It’s a Mazda !

2 Likes

Drop links for the roll bar. (swap bar to our american friends) Mazda Miata MX5 Mk3 Anti Roll Bars, Links and Upgrades - MX5 Parts | MX5parts

2 Likes

As others have said its the anti roll bar link .however the arm below looks corroded.I think that car needs some TLC. Time for some preventative maintainance.:wink:

1 Like

To be fair, my drop links on the Mk1 have done ~270k kms. At last MOT it was mentioned I might want to think about changing before the next… Its never going to rust through, only the rubber getting a bit flakey.

1 Like

I had the drop link mounts snap on my Eunos o/s front control arm.
There was the occasional, unaccounted for clunk when driving but only aware of the problem when the MOT man kindly pointed it out.
Those mounts are quite thick metal but after 30 years mine had snapped on both ends; original drop link and rubber bush were fine.

1 Like

Probably old accident damage.

Mazda left one of the tabs off on the NB and replacement NA parts

Original

New

2 Likes

No, pure corrosion on mine and a lot of others for sale obviously in a poor state too.
Just rust forming where there is no protection and moisture/salt, corroding away the metal until it just let go.

1 Like