What oil do you use?

Hi all,

Those of you that know about the foibles of the MK3’s will know that they’re a ticking time bomb unless they’re treated properly with regards to oil cleanliness and specification.

I’ve always used Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A5 in both my current and past 1.8 NC1 as it meets the requirements as per the handbook.

The question is, does anyone suggest anything better, and if so, why?

Also: oil filters. I was going to try the markedly expensive K&N one next time… Any real benefits to this or is it just unnecessary for non-track use?

Chris,
I recall an American YouTube video years back where they cut up after market filters to do pretty much an autopsy on them. Some after market “Top Brands” were not too clever, some were just plain, expensive, rubbish.
As for oil…well…no debate from me. Just the fact I’ve stuck stubbornly to non Mag GTX for decades which has served well in all my cars especially our 2 Mx5s over the last 15 years, two Monza 3ltrs ( one turbo’d!), a Vulcan milled 3.1ltr Capri 2.8i and God knows what else.
All I can say really…bar the fact our 2002 Sport mill at 105,000 miles uses no oil, spins like new, and gets fresh stuff & OEM filter every 5k which I think is the “secret”.
As for “touchy” Mk3’s…nil opinion via nil experience.

I’ve got this very job to do, just got to get under there and get dirty.:grimacing:

This is what I use, always used Mobil FE but trying the K&N filter this time, previously I’ve used the Mazda filter from Mx5parts.

2 Likes

I take it that there’s no difference in oil requirement for either the 1.8 or 2.0 engines then?

Could you post a link to that oil so I can check it’s specs against my handbook? And when you say you’ve always used it, how many miles would you say your car has done overall on that oil, any signs of consumption?

I use the same as Mick and the reason i went for the K&N filter was that it has a nut on the bottom making it easier to get off

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/engine-fully-synthetic-ltrs-mk3-35-p-1587.html
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/filter-performance-gold-high-flow-mk3-35-p-1679.html

I always use Castrol Edge 5w30 fully synthetic in my NC ,and a Mazda oil filter.A bit more expensive I know but with the NC being very sensitive to oil level ,and grade I feel that it is worth it.Have read to many reports of blown engines over the years through oil issues of one kind and another.But at the end of the day you pay your money and make the choice as they say.

Specs are within this link below.

My car had a full Mazda service history prior to my ownership up to 49k miles. Since then, 7 years ago, I’ve changed the oil every year no matter what mileage I’ve covered (no more than 4-5k per year) probably a good deal less this year👎 It’s coming up to 75k miles now.
Topping up between changes, about 1/2 pint never really measured it but I always keep it just tad above the full mark on the stick.
Interestingly I’ve just bought the new dipstick, the old stick said you’re spot on the full mark, the new stick just below full. I topped up anyway, not much, never measured about 1/4 pint. That’s the first time I’ve added oil since I did the change last year.

1 Like

I also use Mobil 3000. 20% off in Halfords, plus club discount. Think it comes out about £27

2 Likes

Just my opinion.
As long as you use the correct grade and specification you will not have any problems.
Likewise, a FULLY Synthetic oil too.
Most of the makers will have a “Lube” site which you can put in the details to see what they recommend.
I use Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-30 as recommended by them.
I have used this oil since getting the car in 2016.
Had 6000 miles when I bought it and now have 24000.
Does not use a drop.
Also agree with all the others, I change oil/filter every year regardless of mileage.
Just me, but I use the OEM Mazda oil filter too.

Click on the link, put your registration or vehicle details and see what pops up. :+1:
https://www.total.co.uk/lub-advisor

1 Like

I checked out prices on the Mobil oil 2-3 years ago and usually found Wilko conveniently had it @£26, got a shop nearby.
It went up last year from the above so it worked out if I bought oil + filter for my daily driver too (needs doing) Castrol Edge and the Mobil with a special discount it came in at just over £60 from Opie oils. They offered free delivery on orders over £60.

Strange that people say the mk3 is fussy about oil. We use a 5w30 over here but the US cars are specified a 5w20.

Regardless I use fully synthetic castrol in all my nice engines and nine of them burn a drop between changes.

Hi mick that’s the best way I think ,check regular and change regular I do mine every year as well, fairly cheap insurance really. Regards Bob.

Main thing is it’s the right spec. although I tend not to go for the minimum. I’d use Millers Trident Longlife (5999) which is fully synthetic, for no other reason than I grew up a mile from the head office! Just bought some for the boss’s car actually, £23 delivered from a seller I’ve used before on the big auction site. I normally buy manufacturer oil filters, too many stories of pattern parts missing non-return valves or even filtration material. That said I have just bought a Bosch while ordering some other stuff and I wouldn’t be worried about that.
https://www.millersoils.co.uk/which-oil/

Castrol Magnatec 5w-30w fully synthetic in the Mk3.75 engine, changed annually regardless of mileage, 4/5K per year. Of course constant oil level checks, so far no oil used between services, best to be safe than have a knackered engine.
Bi-annual gearbox & diff oil changes by Roddisons Motorsport, not exactly sure what oil Paul puts in but gear changes 1st to 2nd even when cold are smooth.
Keith

Mobil One always comes out really well in oil studies.
Main thing is to use fully synthetic as it keeps its properties much longer and is better in the first place.
Prices are reasonable for Mobil One using your Halfords discount, so IMHO, its a no-brainer.

come to think of it, Motul 7000 might be appropriate for our cars.
It rivals Mobil One in oil studies but is aimed at motorcycles.
The advantage of this is that the spec includes extra corrosion inhibitors to combat condensation in engines left unused over winter, as most bikes are toys that remain garaged over Winter.
Sound Familiar??

I use Mobil 1.
The very best oil filter is a genuine Mazda one.

3 Likes

Triple QX semi synthetic 5w30 for me from Eurocarparts, more recently I got a 20 litre tub from a friend, also trying out the K & N filter for the first time. Like most on here, regular oil changes, sometimes within 2k miles, 5k maximum. I check level very regularly anyway, always have done, habit I suppose from years of oil leaking cars and motorcycles years ago :rofl:
Barrie

2 Likes

Remember the old bangers well ,had my fair share of those over the years ,I think the best one I had was a blue hand painted Hillman Imp cost me the grand sum of £100 quid happy days eh.

1 Like

My view, completely unsubstantiated by any science, is that regular / frequent oil changes are probably more important than the quality of oil, assuming the correct spec is used…

2 Likes