What oil grade

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nd
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    does anyone happen to know what grade oil Mazda use when you have a service do they use 0/20 or 5/30

They could use either but id go for Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w/30 which is designed for direct injection engines.

If they follow the book they use the 0W20 recommendation but, in practice, some main dealers will put in whatever they have managed to buy at a good price. Mine alternated between Shell Helix 0W30 and Mazda 0W20 for the NC, although that car is really designed with 5W30 in mind.

The Mobil 1 0W30 is API SP which mitigates some of the GDI problems (LSPI and timing chain wear) so is a good choice. The Mazda oil is only SN.

Book says A3/A5 0W-20 / 5w-30 for Europe. We are well into the temperature range for either in the UK.

My last change was C3 5W-30. C3 does everything A3/A5 does but has lower ash. I kid myself this might mean slightly less crud reaching the inlet tract in crankcase gases.

Main thing is to change it regularly and use the right grade.

I could be wrong but I’d guess not many dealers are actually using Mazda branded oil as listed in the book, and I’d guess most use bulk 5W-30 which covers most engines. I use EMG Cambridge for servicing, which is a Mazda dealer but has a multi-franchise workshop. I supply my own oil so I know what goes into it (and it saves a few pounds).

the only reason I ask is I would prefer to use a 30 weight oil but I suppose if I get Mazda to service it I just have to put up with what ever they use

The answer to your concern is to just ask them exactly what they will use. If you do not like their choice ask if they are happy for you to supply the oil, job done.
:hearts:

My recent invoice for main dealer 4th service says “HELIX ULT AF 5W 30” which seems to be Shell.