What oil recommendations. Rear axle and gearbox

Hi all

Want to change oil in my 2ltr NC z sport which has an lsd diff.

Which is the “right” oil for the lsd diff, and what is the proper oil for my 6 speed gearbox.

I’ve heard that this lsd has a clutch within and as such can be slightly noisy if the wrong oil is put in… Is this correct?

Thank you 

Dave

1 Like

No, it is not the case, just look at your handbook and buy the standard spec oil recommended in there for the diff.

Some of the six speed gearboxes can obtain an improvement to the gear change if you use Redline MT90 or Castrol Syntrans Multivehilce 75/90. Buy three bottles of whatever gearbox oil you chose as the box takes more than 2 litres of oil.

Do not use either of these two specific oils in the diff.

Castrol universal 75w 90 API GL4/GL5 is ok for the diff 1 X 1ltr bottle will do it.

Castrol Syntrans multivehicle 75w 90 for gearbox 3 X 1ltr bottles will be needed for the NC 6 speed, you’ll only use part of the 3rd litre.

+1 for the Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle. I was slightly sceptical TBH but it’s made a noticeable improvement to the smoothness of gearchange on my NC 2.0.

It’s quite expensive IMO but definitely worth it. Best price I found was Demon Tweaks on Ebay.

Hope this helps!

Brian.

I use Millers CRX 75w/90 for the gearbox (which I find is better than Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle) and Millers CRX LS 75w/90 for the diff.

Just used exactly the same in my NC/MK3, with no problems. Also used Miller oil in the engine as well.

Thank you all for your advice. 

I have now got some Millers CRX LS 75w/90 to go into the diff hopefully this weekend.

Which Millers is best for the engine?

Cheers… 

Miller’s CFS 0w/30 NT+ or Mobil 1 0w/30 ESP is an excellent alternative that is cheaper

I see there’s a new Castrol oil specifically for LSD axles, Castrol Axle Z Limited Slip 90.
Has any one used this?

Just ordered three litres of Castrol Syntrans for the gear box and one litre of the above oil for the differential.

Bought from Opie oils, if you use the voucher code LOOKUP you can get 10% off your order.