What will you get when you finally give up "5"' ing?

Do they still have Mazda stickers inside the doors?

1 Like

10th Generation Honda Civic Type R. Not everyone’s cup of tea style wise, but excellent performance, handling, comfort and a wonderful Honda 2ltr turbocharged Vtec engine.

1 Like

They do have lots of Mazda stickers on various parts of the car. I can also find a few Abarth stickers etc. However, not a single Fiat sticker to be seen.

1 Like

I had to give up on the 5’s as the wife and I struggled to get in and out of ours. Also I had an eye removed because of cancer and find driving at night near impossible in a low car. On the advice of my optometrists I know drive a Kia Sportage .
It comes in handy when I am out in wet fields taken photos on car trials. It has 4WD with diff lock.

1 Like

For some reason I feel that if/when the time comes when I can’t get into/out of our 5 I will want something big and comfy - but just as much as an engineering marvel for a pile of different reasons. In light of that I feel drawn to a Bentley Continental Flying Spur. Sapphire Blue. Tan leather. Mulliner spec. Fastest saloon in the World when it was built. Can’t be knocked for the sheer magnificence of it as a machine and for that reason it sort of tickles me in the same place as the 5. No doubt it would be a real buzz driving it - just like the 5! Plus they were built for grumpy old people - which I imagine I will be when the time comes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have done just as you say. I just bought a BMW 218d M sport
Small, nippy, comfy, very cheap to run. £30 tax. 50+ mpg.

It’s been passed on again.:+1:

Looked at the 124’s previously and again before deciding on another NC, I wanted the electric folding top though. I think the Fiats would have sold in greater numbers had they had that feature. Only my opinion of course.

1 Like

Probably a Polo GTI.

2 Likes

Probably just stick to my motorbike if there was no mx5 in my life, but cant see it ever happening!

It’s never going! The ND and me will go on until I can’t!

Also I do have the ZOE - electric, cheap to run and reasonable range, with room to take the cat in his basket - hard in the ND. However the ND is my Soul Red Soulmate!

I owned a 2002Tii, in that colour. STJ111M. It was good in its day but the lack of power steering and the build up of masses of understeer stopped it being sporty.

Hopefully when I can no longer drive my NA manual soft top, I’ll be still able to drive my NC PRHT BBR300 that I’ll have converted to auto with the suspension wound upwards and one of those seats that spins through 90 degrees to allow entry and exit.

1 Like

I will give up my mx5 when I can get my dream Porsche Cayman. Until then I need to cut a lot more hair

1 Like

Do you mean adding something like this?

OK if you were happy for it to lift the seat a bit because of the thickness of its TT. But with the tight fit in the MX5 it might be awkward unless the seat was smaller… Oh well, one can dream.

A few years ago I had a lift in an HGV that had something that worked like one of these on each side of the cab. Brilliant with the gas-mounted seats.

Yes. And/or the seat can be higher up, along with a removeable or deep dished steering wheel. Thinking again about it now you’ve shown me the custom-made version, I wonder if the leather seats are slippery enough for me to spin directly on them? Maybe I do it now, without noticing. I already have to do a “controlled” fall on to the driver’s bolster to get in.

1 Like

I know it will never happen, but one of these will do me fine.

GR Yaris

2 Likes

Oh that’s the turbo that was listed on Ebay very nice example.

What autobox will you go for BMW DCT, ZF8?

On topic: I’ll be going for a Ford fiesta after the NC, exciting I know. :grimacing: 1.6 ST with a little remap might just be the ultimate cheap to run not slow car.

1 Like

Apparently the MX5 6 speed flappy paddle on will be ok if I have the turbo wound down a bit.

1 Like

We sold our PRHT Powershift June '21 and purchased a Mercedes SL400, easier to get in and out of and just as “unnecessary” as the MX5 but (1)… Its no sports car but what a superb drive! and but (2)… Heck at mid 70’s life is rushing by so why not? and but (3)… my dear Daughter looked me straight in the eye and said “dad, if you don’t spend it I will”!

It’s a generation thing I think because in my youth we were advised “save up for a rainy day” & “put it into bricks and mortar” LAD, which I did, so my excuse to it all is "my rainy day is HERE NOW! So whilst ever I can retain a level of fitness into my advancing years I’m going to do it (whatever “it” may be) also, surviving the big “C” sharpens one’s thinking a tad. THANKS NHS & SCIENCE.
There you have it, I’ll plough my own furrow and paddle my own canoe, we all get only the one chance. Regards to you all.

6 Likes