What's the best route for insuring a 29 yr old Mk 1 1.8iS? Classic? Normal?

Hi All

UPDATE: Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been on MoneySupermarket’s “Classic car comparisons” and have a quote (not the cheapest) of, drum roll please…£67.59 with Zenith through Autonet (never heard of them)!
I’m just trying to establish if that’s for an agreed value or for the 13p they probably think she’s worth! If it’s the former, I shall bite their hands off! Could this be the one benefit of getting old?

We’re slowly getting our 1.8iS Mk1 back on the road after a long time in storage following an equally long time in France. I didn’t really think much of it because our other two cars are pretty inexpensive to cover and are more powerful, worth more, do more miles and are both covered fully comp and for European motoring too. The total premium for both our other cars is about £300.
The MX-5 is 29 years old and going to be on limited mileage of about 3,000/year and used for driving around Devon to pubs and restaurants on summer evenings and, occasionally, to the sea. When not on the road, it’s safely tucked up in our garage and that’s where she’ll remain. I’ve been down the route of Classic Car insurance and Adrian Flux quoted more than both our other cars combined, LV (who the other cars are insured with) won’t give me a quote without phoning and won’t give me a phone number :roll_eyes: Other mainstream insurers seem to think that a 3rd car is somehow akin to insuring a submarine full of unobtanium driven by a horse. Surely it can’t be this hard?
I must confess that UK insurance is still a bit baffling for me and filling in comparison site forms is torture.
So, MK1 MX-5 1.8iS, non-modified, RHD, British Registered, limited miles of 3000 a year, garaged in a safe little bit of rural Devon, full no claims and clean licences…can anyone suggest a sensible route to go down for reasonable insurance?

I’ve got my 2006 NC with LV with 3000 miles a year. Full comp parked on drive way .This is my second car full no claim . £105 .00 per year.

Really? I’m going to try them again. I’ll try online because, having discovered a phone number, "we’re experiencing a high volume of calls and may not be able to answer within [insert huge number of minutes here]

1 Like

I think quite a few mainstream insurers won’t insure a vehicle over 25 years old, it’s been a while since we had an NA and insured it but I’m sure Direct Line rejected it because of that. Others on here may be able to confirm that.

3 Likes

Hi, I use Performance Direct for my 2 MX5 Mk1 s these are my second & third cars - Limited milage, and about £100 a year for each.
There are some reports they are not very good at handling claims… but I’ve no experience of this.

EUNOS Agreed value £120.64
MAZDA MX-5 ND - £216.35

Fully comp, full NCD, no points etc.

Admiral car/house policy

1 Like

Classic, or you will get a few hundred quid for it when they write it off, which won’t take much.

I made that mistake - my NA was on an agreed value of £4k back in 2011 but, to save a few quid, I took out a normal policy the next year. Light damage, Cat D write-off, £1300 payout.

1 Like

Very useful info. Thank you for that.

You’ve got 2 MX5’s? I’m quite jealous!
Thanks though, I’ll try Insurance direct.

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance that offers a fixed agreed value then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.