Wheels....what do you think?

@BARMY1
What are headtraps? And why get rid of them?

No.1 looks best to me

1 Like

Possibly a reference to the style bars. They look good on your car,and I think the silver wheels compliment them

1 Like

If you happen to roll it and go backwards, the silver hoops behind the seats can flip over your head and onto your neck. This is sub-optimal.

1 Like

If you find yourself upside down sliding down the road backwards at speed in an mx5 I quess wibly wobbly style bars will be the least of your problems.

2 Likes

Over a period of 25 years, I have heard of many claims of “Mouse Trap” effect as a argument against a Style Bar. Never an actual example. Urban myth.

Back in the day, Shiv Pathal (Vishnu Tuning, Frankenstein) was one of the early adopters of the HardDog rollbar, and one of the earliest to flip his car on the street. He suffered scalp damage as his head was dragged along the road, and suffered headaches for a long time later.

Stylebars won’t do anything to aid safety, but also don’t make the car into a deathtrap. Arguably, installing a rollbar without padding, as the vast majority are, increases the risk of cranial damage in the even of a non-rollover accident. The problem is further that the approved padding is designed for a head with a helmet, and may cause concussion if you are not wearing a helmet.

The one example help by Style Bar-deniers concerned a Miata that flipped, killing the driver. The car had a Alumex (German) style bar. In photos that were circulated, the stylebar was slightly bent forward. Straightaway, there was a storm of posts, essentially pointing the fault at the Stylebar. The manufacturer was put through the mill, and ended up investing in rollover tests, and reputational damage. The death wasn’t his fault. The car rolled at about 40mph, after striking a rock in the road due to a rockslide. The driver had his windows rolled down, and was killed instantly when his head hit one of these rocks. It was a freak accident. His passenger walked away unscathed. The Style bar was bent by the emergency crews while recovering the wreck.

I recall an accident from New Zealand (maybe) where a MX5 rolled with a Mike Satur stylbar. It was reported the stylebar stood up very well, and probably helped the driver survive. Maybe, but it certainly didn’t hurt them.

5 Likes

Number 4 look great :+1:

Number 4 would look great with smoked lenses

1 Like

No 3 for me all day long. Matches the roll bars…!

1 Like

I honestly prefer #1

2 Likes

Number 4 comes with a hub conversion :laughing:

None of the above! One of the best looking 5s I can recall from my many years in the Club was a yellow MK2 California with black wheels with silver rims, it looked stunning. I can’t recall what the actual wheels we’re now, but give that idea a look.

1 Like

4 or 5 for me.

1 Like

@martin
Only a couple like that…

One more vote for n4!

1 Like

This is an interesting topic.

1 Like

?

2 Likes

@Scottishfiver
Which wheels are they?
Do you have a side on pic?

It’s my wife’s 2002 Sport as it is just now.
They are Rotas but I cannot recall the name/code now.

I think IanH had them on his Mk2.5 as well.
Personally I think they hit the mark.
I think they would also be excellent on your own car.

GT3’s I think.

I’ve had a quick look around but the 16" seem made of Unobtainium.

Are you 15"?

2 Likes

found these ROTA Wheels - Wheels : 16", GT3 and Kensei

1 Like