Which coil overs should I buy

I have a 2003 (DR02 JON) MX5 1.8 NB

I use in on the roads and track days

Can anybody please advise me which adjustable coil overs (Budget around £1k) I should consider to improve performance and handling on track days but keep the suspension nice and soft ish for B roads

Many thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, there are haters ( no idea why) of the Meister coilovers but I’ve owned 3 sets spread over 3 mk1’s and currently a club race set on my NC Sport Tech. Absolutely love them. Under £900 puts them in your budget plus an amount for fitting. For the price point they have always given me what I wanted in terms of appearance, ride, ease of damping adjustment etc. Having said that, there are other set ups on the market which have their own following. They come complete, ready to install, including the top mounts so for me, have been the go to choice for MX5 coilovers.

Barrie

Hi, keep it simple, phone BBR who will with 25 years Mx5 experience, be able to advise and depending on your needs and be fit if you lack experience in this area.

Going for a drive - enjoy your day

Thank you so much Mate I’ll check them out :smile:

A mate just text me this…

the rear spring rate/ rebound control is the rub, bc have various combos f/r springs.
I would look at 6f & 4 r (350f/250r lbs spring) might seem soft but with updated antiroll bars you are trying to avoid a skippy rear end on B roads, track is smooth. With my MeisterR, I find it can get as bit skippy if you don’t back them down after the track, that’s being very critical & they have a newer model CRD , I think damping vs rear spring is now different. So would check where they are on setting now.
Also rebuilding after a couple of seasons & or damage, check if bc do a service rebuild … think there in Bradford/Leeds area, MeisterR don’t offer rebuild, there are companies that do rebuilds elsewhere

I think the lack of rebuild is part of what the detractors whinge on about :thinking: Having said that, I’ve owned many cars/motorbikes over the last (almost) 50 years and have NEVER had a set of shocks or coilovers rebuilt. I know that means nothing in reality but how many rebuilds do you have to do? I would also ask, why? Are they not well enough put together in the first place that they need repairs? OK, if you were spending big money on a set and the car was an out and out race car then I would expect to be able to have them serviced/rebuilt/tuned at the end of a season but my car is a road car and the Meister units are great for me. Just my thoughts and I certainly don’t want to enter a big debate about these things as i don’t have the experience or knowledge in this field. What i do know, they replaced my worn out Bilsteins and transformed the car! Not sure on the cost of a set of OEM Bilstein’s is with fixed height and no damping adjustment?

However, if you look on their website, they do a lot of spares nowadays. They’ve been going a while now and I really like them. There will always be differing opinions on coilovers, much like tyres I guess. A bit more research possibly is required? Good luck!

These are the ones I have

Barrie

I fitted a set of MeisterR last year while rebuilding the suspension on my NBFL (2003). Simple to fit, plus lots of advice and support, especially from BOFI Racing whom I purchased them from.
I looked at alternatives including a new set of Blisten and Gaz Gold. The MeisterR won becasue they came with everything I needed to replace all the worn parts and adjustment / setup was straight forward.
Gaz Gold don’t come with top mounts so need assembling with parts from the existing shocks. If any of the parts needed are not usable the cost can start to rise quickly.

Thank you for your time and effort. I think it’s because I do about 12+ track days a year if we damage them by going off :flushed::rofl:

Trust me you will not damage them on track days! I bounce over sausage curbs etc an a weekly basis and meisterR is the one to have!!!

2 Likes

Another vote for Meisters. I would advise giving them a good coat of something to protect the anodized ally in the spring preload adjustment and height adjustment area of the threads and collars to increase usable life especially if driving year round and on salted roads. I used silicone grease which seems to keep its properties and doesn’t dry out.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Advise everyone :+1:t2:

Cheers Rodders I was more thinking about when I hit a wall lol

I’m also about to take the plunge on some coilovers, I have the 1.8 NB Sport that is going to be a track car with some road use.

Was looking last night and found that Miester do 0% Finance so it pretty much made my mind up. I will be going for the club race i think.

I’m getting the MeisterR CRD :nerd_face:

They all retail @ £ 769:00 inc delivered.

BOFI & Blink Motorsport offer supply,fitting & set up, Blink £1200:00 on 4 wheel alignment, BOFI might not have the same equipment on hand & farm out for tracking.

Where about are you based …I’m Harrogate

Im in Perth Scotland, was not sure on what ones to go for to be honest, Ive messaged Jerrick to ask what he would recommend.

Rodders fitted mine (Meisters) excellent job of course with the all important set up.

1 Like