Which MX5 ?

I feel I am in a bit of a dilemma.

Having looked around, it seems I can pick up either a Mk 1, 2 or 3 within my budget

As mentioned earlier, I want to use it as a daily (third car) and for trackdays.

Don’t want to spend too much and want one that is also cheap to maintain, particularly with the maintenance required for tracking.

Which would be the best model considering:

1. It not rusting away beneath me, at least if undersealed etc ?

2. Be the most fun to drive and track ?

3. Be the best for everyday road driving ?

4. Cheapest to run and maintain - unless all three are roughly the same ?

Thanks

MK3 is the best everyday road car. Sits higher up so you don’t feel so vulnerable and has dynamic stabilty control, mutiple air bags ABS as standard. Mark 1 and 2 handle better and give more fun. Newer cars should be cheaper to run.

Thanks Raymond.

Do you think the Mk 3 would make a good track car though ?

Is it as nimble and agile (despite being heavier) as the Mk1 and 2 and can you switch off the DSC on a first gen 2.0 Sport Mk 3, which is what my budget gets me ?

Separately, the Mk 2 seems to be the vest value from a purchase perspective but the rust worries me on these. 

If I find a Mk 2 without any rust, it it just inevitable that eventually it will rust even if Dinitroled etc ?

Rust free NB’s do exist but you will need to look at quite a few to find a rust free one. You may find one that an owner had waxoyled from new.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=598951

But I would still look for a NC with the 2.0 litre engine

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.

Although within my budget, an NC1 is about £1k more than an NB - is it worth £1k more ?

On the other hand, would an NB that is rust free today, eventually rust away beneath me ?

NC1’s are getting rarer as they have been broken in great numbers and people are looking at them again to restore so prices are rising.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mazda/mx-5-mk1/mazda-eunos-s-special-mk-1/7926616        This one in in Surrey at £2400 and was rust proofed in 2013. No sign of any rust on MOT history.

The NB’s are well known for rust but having said that all my NB’s are still around even the one whose floor had a hole in it ! Have a good look around on what is on offer as there are plenty of cars. Do an MOT history first which will show up rust problems.  Look also on facebook for cars.

Do you mean NA cars (not NC1) ?

Yes, many Mk 1 NA cars are being broken for parts but Mazda sold so many that there are still fair few around…at the moment

Yes, I have seen NB cars that some are rust free but I guess just wondering of they will eventually rot or does under sealing 100% prevent this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frP_w7oRavo       It is the internal box sections that are the main problem. They rust from the inside out. In the case of the NB the rust appears on the outside side of the sill but has rotted from the inside out. The internal box sections need to be coated with some form of wax to stop the rust. If this is done early enough it should stop the rot.