Whining clutch noise on idle

I have reviewed the clutch postings but can’t find anything relevant so I need some help. I have a 2004 “5” with 39k on the clock. It’s a Uk car. Recently I have noticed a strange whine or whistle coming from what I believe is the clutch. My reason. For the clutch theory is that as soon as I put even the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal the noise goes. Do I have a clutch on it’s last legs that needs changing or is there a spring or similar that needs a bit of grease. Any ideas would be welcome.

worn release bearing?

Remove the clutch pushrod. and grease the end where it contacts the clutch release arm, which goes into the gearbox.  The other end of the pushrod can also be greased but with rubber grease.  My car sometimes does the same noise more evident when I start it up in the garage, the noise reflects from the brick wall.  My car has done 20,000 miles and has been making this noise on and off for as long as I can remember.

Regards  Geoff Peace.

I’ve got this same problem on my Mk1 1.6. Any further thoughts on what the problem might be?

Cheers

This may help, read the whole thread

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/p/200/361.aspx#361

That will be the diaphragm spring fingers rubbing lightly on the release bearing which is staying stationary until a little more pressure is applied to cause it to rotate instead of rub.

Possibly the bearing has become stiff from a previous owner riding the clutch or simply the lube in the sealed bearing drying out. There’s nothing to be done without removing the gearbox but it may not be a problem and I’d just try to use it less by not sitting in gear etc.

The fix to this problem is to turn the stereo up a bit. When it can’t go up any more and you can still hear it, then it is time for a new clutch.

Ah! The old ones are always the best! or so someone once said.   As I said in a previous post my car has made this noise pretty much from new.  Most noticeable in the garage with the engine running and the car door open, the sound is reflected from the brick wall.  You could easily replace the clutch/bearing etc. only to find the new components make the same sound.  I would   ‘let it develop’  and I do not say this lightly, there are few people I would think, who are more paranoid than myself with regard to strange noises from the car.

Regards  Geoff Peace.

I have a 1992 Eunos MK1 with 178,000Km on the clock. After a 1500 mile road trip this year the car developed a noise. When letting the clutch out slowly, say manoeuvring I get a (sometimes) whine. This can happen when the car is in forward or reverse gear and also when in neutral although the noise is not so loud. It does not occur generally when pulling away under normal driving conditions and does not occur when changing gear (a faster release of the clutch). I took the car to my local garage. They checked the clutch which seemed ok, but a gear box expert replaced a bearing within the gearbox. As the clutch was out I decided to have a new clutch fitted including the thrust bearing. Everything was fine for about 600 miles and then the same problem started. The noise is intermittent, mainly occurring during low speed maneouvring at about 1000rpm. Any ideas??