Whinning noise under load up to 2k RPMs after oil change in diff and gearbox

Hello everyone,

I have got NB 2.5i Sport (56k miles) which I bought 8 months ago. I changed the oil in a diff (Torsen LSD) and gearbox about 6 months ago for:

• Red Line 75W90 GL-5 in diff
  • Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 in a gearbox

Imidietly after that, I started to hear a winning noise which I never noticed before the oil change.
The car behaved fine, so I left it and thought I was going to see if it gets worse because I couldn’t pinpoint the exact location from where I could hear the noise.

Recently, I discovered that noise appears if I’m below 2k RPMs and accelerate. The higher the gear the noise seems to be louder, so on 4th, 5th, and 6th gear it is the worst. If I got music on I almost don’t hear it, so it isn’t really really loud but you can clearly hear it with the radio off. It doesn’t change when I depress the clutch or appear when I decelerate.

Now the question is what that could be? I don’t think it’s a clutch problem. It started right after the oil change but everything works as it worked before apart from this noise.

Have anyone had a similar problem or has any suggestions?

This might not sound logical but often what happens with these sort of noises is that a heatshield is vibrating. If you were down by the gearbox filler could you have disturbed one of the heatshields? Might be worth getting back underneath and tapping some of them to see if the make a noise. check the ones mounted onto the body as well as the ones wrapping the exhaust downpipe etc.

What year eg the 2003 Cheese Diff of the Year Award winner, or the bullet proof previous one?

The car is from 2002 reg. 02

1 Like

Good.
They get £4/500 used for good reasons.
I’d discount your diff tbh meantime.

So I got a bulletproof diff which broke after changing the oil? Would different oil eliminate the noise?

Check the upper and lower shift boots (around the gear stick) the NA & NB are known for perishing/splitting this enables noise and heat to enter the cabin. Maybe a coincidence that it’s happened alongside you changing oils and something to eliminate too.

1 Like

Never suggested or inferred that.
What I’m saying is given the good rep your diff has, I personally doubt the diff is the issue.
MickAP made a valid check point.

Sorry, didn’t really get what you meant in your replay.

I found someone’s video with the same problem. You can hear it from about 1:08

I will check heatshields while changing gearbox oil soon. I will have a look at shift boots but highly doubt that is a problem in my case.