Whiring noice

Hi there. Fairly new to club and need some advice please. I have a MK1 which is in good condition but I have noticed recently that it has developed a slight mechanical whiring noice when ticking over at standstill. This dissapears when I push the clutch pedal down. Any suggestions ? Clutch or gearbox ? Thanks

I think you will find its common on most MX5’s

I have owned two MK1s a MK3 and a MK3.5 and they have all had the same noise when idling as you describe which disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed, I assume it is probably the thrust bearing.

I have never bothered investigating the noise on my cars and done many miles in them, the noise never got any worse and the cars never let me down.

It’s probably just a gear/bearing roll-over noise, some are worse than others, usually more prominent when idling next to a wall or in a garage so the sound bounces back. Changing the gearbox oil may reduce it, I’d keep an “ear” on it to make sure that is doesn’t get worse.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I think I will just keep an ear to it for now. Cheers.

The thrust bearing is only engaged with the pedal depressed.
The MX5 has an in’line engine with the gearbox behind then engine, which is already a long way back in the engine compartment, so the gearbox is right under the windscreen and much closer to the passenger compartment than with a front-wheel drove car. When you depress the clutch pedal, you disconnect the engine from the gearbox, so it no longer rotates. When you release it again, the gearbox will start turning again, hence the whirring sound.

Thanks for the info. Seems like nothing to worry about at least for now. Cheers.

Mine does the same, 2006 mk3 5 speed, has always been the same and hasn’t got any worse just learnt to live with it. I think there was a technical service bulletin from Mazda concerning this I will see if I can find a copy of it tomorrow

My 5-speed NC has always had the whirr, but it was quieter after a gearbox oil change (normal Mazda oil at a routine service).

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it. Going to live with it for now. Cheers

Found this on miata.net a while back, I think it refers to NC mk3 variants.

The bulletin (entitled Transmission Gear Roll Over Noise, numbered MTOL-4120 Dealer Repair Information) states the following:

“Some customers may complain of a whirring noise from the transmission while at idle and in neutral. The noise may also be described as a light rattling when the AC compressor cycles on. This noise is normal and no repairs should be made. Confirm the gear rollover noise by depressing the clutch pedal, the noise should be eliminated. Compare noise to another vehicle to verify this is a normal characteristic.”

Great info.many thanks.