White marks on mohair hood

1. My model of MX-5 is:mk1
  2. I’m based near:northampton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:cleaning mohair hood
1 Like

I found this video helpful when I had my Mk1 with a mohair roof:

1 Like

I clean.mine with a solotion of baby shampoo and a dash of Milton Fluid in warm water, rinse thouroughly, let it dry, then waterproof with Fabsil Gold. (The dash of Milton helps kill any algae.)

My problem is everytime i touch the hood ,i get white streaks on it,so seriously thinking of going back to vinyl.

You would be well advised to stick with Mohair; a much better softtop.
It sounds like you just need to properly clean in the right weather as advised and then apply Fabsil Gold. This will waterproof and protect the fabric; likely no more white streaks.
To keep the cloth hood in best condition I would advise that a thorough clean in the summer, followed by Fabsil Gold treatment once a year should be sufficient.

3 Likes

Once you’ve cleaned it thouroughly use Renovo Dye to bring it back to black. Then use the Fabsil Gold to waterproof it.

1 Like

You need to make sure you remove any previous treatment, any dirt and detergent residue before you start further treatment. A pressure washer on a low setting at about 1m from the top will work. Water should run clear. You may need a soft brush to get into the textile top layer properly. Make sure all the top is bone dry before using
Fabsil or whatever.

Totally agree, this is exactly what I do with my Bottle Green Mohair Soft Top👍