White wax spots - how to clean

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Cannock
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Detailing

Wasn’t sure how to title this, but simply put I have a metallic grey NC and waxed a while ago with Autoglym resin polish, which is a white cream. Problem is there is residue left in any small chips in the paint, making them stand out. I was hoping that after several washes the polish would have flushed off, but sadly not.

Any thoughts on what can be used to clean off the residue in the stonechips? Is there a safe solvent maybe?

Thanks

Autoglym Resin Polish states that it will remove small scratches. To do this it will have a fine compound in it. This will dry as a white powder. Better to use a pure wax like Carnauba Wax.

I use a clear carnuba from this company

Many thanks both and indeed since using Autoglym resin polish I have now converted to carnuba (I stress no fault here of Autoglym)

What I need now however is a way of removing the white residue trapped in the surface imperfections.

Try a toothbrush. Dip in water and use a random circular motion. Wipe on a clean cloth and then go again till they go.
I have an old electric toothbrush in the garage for getting into the corners of ‘badges’ etc… Works a treat but the neighbours give me funny looks!!!
:heart:

2 Likes

Another option could be to try and fill the stone chips with a coloured wax. However it might be a challenge to find a good enough colour match.

the other way is a cocktail stick to remove it

1 Like

Just a thought. It may not be polish in the chips, possibly it’s the white primer showing through. My 2005 Black Mica has white primer. Never understood why.:joy:

1 Like

I recently used Tar and Glue remover to remove white polish left on the bodywork and plastic trims

Thanks all

I would try IPA ( Isopropyl alcohol) it removes the resin left from polish on a cotton bud as you don’t want to remove all of the resin from the panel as the small scratches currently filled with polish will all re appear.

3 Likes