Who drives around the Cat&Fiddle regularly?

Hi all

I normally like to go for a drive around that area of the Peak District when the weather is nice, and I’ve seen a few mx5s driving around there and waving (!).

It’d be nice to know who and maybe meet!

In my case, I drive a mk2.5 in splash green.

Juan

1 Like

Hi, I went past the Cat&Fiddle twice today. In normal times I commute from Sheffield to Macclesfield… but recently, once in a blue moon.

Was up in Buxton last Friday, we drove home via A53 then cut through to the A515 back towards Ashbourne.
Regularly parked opposite the Cat & Fiddle to go walking but taken to parking at Wildbourclough now to keep off the main route.

My parents had a farm up there until quite recently. I still go over there quite regularly.

I was around there last Friday - not in my 5 though - after a week of cycling in the area.
Had an all too brief stop at Tissington which is unbeleivably pretty. Will return and do the Tissington Trail soon.

I just realized. If you look at my profile picture, it is the cat & fiddle in the background. It was captured by one of these photographers that sit by the roadside taking pictures of motorcycles mainly.

Being a West country boy, can I ask what is the Cat & Fiddle?

It’s a pub on a nice route from Buxton, drivers and bikers love it.

Locally called the Cat & Fiddle road, A537 between Buxton area and Macclesfield.
Lovely walks to be had by walking from there in all directions.

It’s also claimed enough lives to warrant a 50 mph average speed camera setup.
https://youtu.be/bjB9fszqXDI

I live near Macclesfield and the way from there to Buxton is great.
Better to avoid the ‘rush hour’ on sunny weekends and it’s much better to drive late in the evening, now we still have enough daylight.

The lack of power in a stock mx5 engine makes the route fun even with the 50mph limit haha

1 Like

Never visited that area.

Definitely in my list for another Saturday or Sunday trip!

I’m in the area occasionally but usually A54 Axe Edge and A53 Buxton to Leek.

If you’re going on the Cat & Fiddle (A537) do note the surface on the Cheshire side is scabby as, it’s also a very busy route and has 50 mph average speed check along it. It’s a pretty road but somewhat overrated for fun, I think you go more for the views than the drive. The poor safety record is down almost entirely to biker injuries, take those out the equation the KSI isn’t remarkable.

1 Like

Duly added to the list of drives. It might need to be a weekend tour? :thinking:

1 Like

I live around Buxton and the cat and fiddle road is good fun in the 5, especially on those rare sunny summer days. Shame the crazy bikers have spoilt it slightly due to the 50mph cameras. The Buxton to Whaley bridge is a nice road too especially heading uphill towards Buxton.

1 Like

We’ll have to meet up1 day :+1:t3::white_check_mark::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Normally, when the weather is nice, I like to drive from Macclesfield to Buxton and then to Whaley Bridge, but I always stop in a car park on the side of the road next to a reservoir (photo).

2 Likes

I’m in!

1 Like

Just arrived at the Mere Court Hotel Knutsford via Castleton, Buxton, And Cat and Fiddle. Perfect cruising weather.

Paul and Jan

3 Likes

Just off the Cat and Fiddle is Lamamamamaload Reservoir. The road between it and the Cat is HORRIFIC with craters but there is some nice walking to be done on the hills around it. Strapped to me windscreen is a pasty, it was quite windy when I took the photo! Almost got the car stuck on this patch of grass (car park was shut at the time), LSD to the rescue :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There’s a nice walk just off from the Cat & Fiddle, we call it the three shires head walk. The meeting point of Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire.
Lovely picnic spot…

3 Likes