Why change the suspension in an MX5. To be, or not to be

So you’ve never parked up, walked away from your car and turned round and looked at it and think wow I really like the look of my car!

4 Likes

Well, What about a Woman. She puts makeup on her face she cannot see the result on herself. So It’s for others to look at ! They will always deny it though ! And yes I always look back at my little MX5. And when I do ‘I see a transformation since I lowered it 30mm and spaced out the tracking 25mm each side with H&R spacers and springs. .

2 Likes

This popped up onto my email… It huts a bit. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I came across this video (part of a video series) that go through the development of the NC. It appears to confirm that quite a few things have changed going from NC1 to NC2 (and onwards)

Dave Coleman (manager vehicle dynamics Mazda USA) says that from NC1 to NC2 they reduced ride height with stiffer suspension springs, geometry changes, front wheel bearings, oil cooler etc… Very interesting.

1 Like

THEY’RE NOT…only those shocks that have springs over the top and fitted between a lower flange and the top mount can ‘‘loosely be described’’ as coil over types… the alternatives on todays cars with the shock attached to the axle location bar ,with a spring acting directly on a link between the subframe or chassis which is having leverage placed on it by the action of the suspension link…meaning that it needs to be a much stronger weighted spring due to the leverage… w

To cut out any confusion, the pic below shows a ‘Coilover’ as they are known.

You can buy:

Different types with different top and bottom mount methods depending on application.

Different lengths.

Adjustable preload.

The ride height can be altered by adjusting the spring position.

Different poundage springs.

Different Dia springs.

Some have separate adjustable bump and droop damper setting capability.

Basically they can be be fit to any vehicle if the mountings are suitable or can be modified.

The benefits are that because they are adjustable they can be adjusted easily for their purpose i.e. track, road etc.

In my view they are not needed for road cars/driving because manufacturers spent lots of time and money developing their spring/damper rates to work on a variety of road types and general surfaces and I would not re-invent their wheel. For serious track/race use they are pretty much a must have but this is just my view, it’s your call.

The One in the pic is for a Lambretta and has only 1 damper setting knob is an aluminium one and was made by Protech Shocks (my preferred manufacturer used on my Kit cars).

I hope this helps.

Roy

2 Likes

To put the cat amongst the pigeons, when does a Strut become a Coilover?

Roy

not sure why there is a question what a coilover is. This was covered in post 1

thats why there was confusion well thats my read on it anyhow saying that all susp is coil over except leaf springs, anybody who writes that on a knowledgeable focused forum which is also visited by newbies who don’t know the different between a camshaft and a calm day… clarity is king… w

I look at it as a ‘strut’ is a structural part of the suspension. A ‘coilover” controls movement of structural parts of the suspension.

4 Likes

Wow Roadster Robbie the way you look at the stut Vs coilover caused my grey matter to wake right up!

Initially I thought I could agree with you but having given it far more (probably too much) I am left with the same query because:

Both types typically use rubber top mounts of some kind, hardly structural.

Depending who is selling them the front dampers are called struts and also some call them dampers for say the MX5 NC front; however the term ‘Strut Brace’ is commonly used rather than ‘Damper Brace’ Using the way you look at it the NC ‘structure’ in my view would be the top and bottom wishbones and thus I could agree they would be called dampers unlike say a Ford Focus which does not have a top wishbone and relies on the ‘strut’… but…

Having woken up my grey stuff I conclude (for now at least) until I feel convinced otherwise that the simple difference is:

‘Struts’ cannot be adjusted for height or damper rate but coilovers can?

Thanks all of you for some interesting views.

Roy

PS.

At the end of the day, if you know what you need buy appropriate parts that satisfy that whatever they are called, works for me.

Roy

I’m no expert on suspension or vehicle dynamics. I can state with confidence, that a standard ND has a wallowy, floaty back end no commensurate with a sports car.
Fitting lowering springs removes this trait and doesn’t corrupt the ride in any discernible way.
As such, why wouldn’t you do it?
The appearance of being lowered is welcome aesthetically but imho is not the reason to fit these springs.
They should have been OEM. I remember reading the ridiculous looking ride height on the NC model, which looked like a 4x4 given the gap between the top of the tyres and the wheel arch, was set like that to meet pedestrian impact regs. Don’t know if that was true or not?

1 Like

Jeezers…

A coilover is a suspension component. The word Coilover means its a coil spring over a shock absorber. it says nothing about being adjustable or not.

A car suspension has a damper (also called strut) and a spring. These components can be mounted together (and called a coilover) or they can be mounted separate. Again both spring and damper can be adjustable or not. All this was explained in post 1

2 Likes

ckleanth,

In my last post I stated:

‘At the end of the day, if you know what you need buy appropriate parts that satisfy that whatever they are called, works for me.’

I recon as time has gone on, suspension components have grown and descriptions have become very muddled confusing many.

Your 1st post was excellent and fired off debate as it was intended too, it raised as many questions as it proposed answers else the topic would have died by now; well done.

Roy

1 Like

HIGHWAY,

Make sure you watch the videos in the 1st post of this topic and also read the post itself. I have also added an additional video regarding ‘Bump Steer’ at the end of this post which begins to explain why suspension mods should be carried out by those that understand the science fully. This is only my view and accept others may know better.

Personally I don’t like the look of lowered NC or ND cars; good looks are an individual issue (Marmite comes to mind).

Suspension geometry is an engineering art scientifically calculated then compromised too.

Whilst building one of my cars I changed the suspension to lower the car and I soon put it back, it was only a 650 kilo car and I achieved ‘Bump Steer’ from hell! along with other handling issues even after realigning the tracking, camber and caster etc.

If lowering works for you great but not for me for road use thanks.

Roy

2 Likes
4 Likes

Good Evening Terry,
Your post put a smile on my face!
After a lifetime of MGB ownership and the last 30 with a pristine 74 B Roadster a friend of mine brought his 1.6 NB round to show me and let me have a test drive.
Job done I also thought why has it taken me all this time to realise this superb car exists!!
In 2018 on early retirement, I also bought a 1999 NB 1.8S in Twighlight blue- what a machine. I’ve spent some time and money on getting this standard car to pristene condition.
Like you, looking at it and driving it makes me grin from ear to ear- and the MGB has sadly gone.
Regards
Nac

3 Likes

:+1:

Glad to hear you are enjoying your NB as much as I’m enjoying mine. All the fun of a 60s roadster without the iffy electrics!

Each MX-5 mark has its own attractions; for me, my 1.8i NB offers the no frills old-school roadster experience I remember from my 20s. I have a nice daily driver (another Mazda - a Mazda6 Sport) with all the bells and whistles and no slouch, and I can understand the attraction of the later marks with all that stuff, but for me it’s all about getting the top down, getting the wind in my face and hearing that amazing little engine getting close to the redline. Woohoo!

Excellent. :slightly_smiling_face: I will be 60 this year and have a friends 2015 model lined up. The problem is used cars are increasing in price at the moment. Just out of interest how many miles has your car done? It looks very nice.

Thanks. It’s done 32.5k miles, 1.5k by me since June. I am the second owner. It was owned by a lady who lives 5 miles from me so it’s lived its whole life in Bournemouth. I had been looking for a couple of months, missed out on a couple, then this one popped up on Gumtree while I was looking. It might be the shortest ever listing, I bought it the same morning :grin:. It was fated to be mine.

1 Like