Why does my Mazda 3 want a service already?

The spanner light has come on and it says it needs an oil change in 560 miles. It’s done 3750 miles from new, and that was less than 9 months ago. It doesn’t do silly short trips and the oil is still very clean. Any ideas? It’s the 2.0 SkyActiv-X engine. I thought these were on fixed 12,500/12 month intervals.

If it’s brand new I’d ring the dealer, just to check warranty implications of not getting it done when the computer says so despite the intervals in the book👍

1 Like

Same as my SEAT, it’s whatever comes first the twelve months or on mileage. I guess as mine (low annual mileage) you can possibly have it at 18k miles/18 month intervals, variable servicing.
I do my own service now, usually every 12 months even though I only cover 4-5k miles average, oil is reasonable price + filter and I can reset the service warning.

It’s on the fixed upfront Mazda service plan but I doubt they’d be happy with 4 or 5 services in 3 years. I must check the small print.

It might be trying to guess your mileage at approx. 12 months from your mileage so far. I.e. it thinks that at 11 months old or so you will have done about another 560 miles. Watch to see if the 560 miles until service due comes down at the same rate you put miles on the car.

It wasn’t pre registered was it as the sevice indicator is time based from some predetermined point at vehicle preparation, which could be a few weeks or even months before you took ownership. Certainly my Volvo always comes up with a service reminder about 5 to 6 weeks before its due, followed by constant reminders via text messages and mailings from the dealership.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.